Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Toddler
  4. Feeding your Toddler
  5. Extended Breastfeeding Mums.....

Extended Breastfeeding Mums..... Lock Rss

Hi guys,

Just wanting to hear what other mums think I should do. My DS is 15 months and is on 2 feeds a day, morning and night. For the past month, I have been in pain in one breast with a thrush infection in the nipple. I have been to the doctor and medicine is not working. Every time I feed I am in pain and then for about 2 hours after there is pain. I don't want to stop BFing but am not sure if I can keep it going...it's driving me nuts having to put up with this shooting pain each morning and night. Any advice?

On a separate note, just something that might get you ladies talking...when I told my doc that I was still BF my 15 month old, he wanted to know why, because he said extended BFing results in low iron levels. When I told the doc that the WHO recommends 2 years BF, he then told me that I should have started my bub on solids by now!!! Oh my goodness, I couldn't believe that he thought DS had not started solids yet! When I told the doc that DS ate 3 full meals, pretty much what we eat, plus snacks plus drinks water and milk, he was much happier, but honestly, as if my 15 month old would not be on solids yet!

Hear from you all soon, I hope.

I had a terrible time with repeated thrush infections until bubs was about 4 months old. Its horrible! I had nipple thrush but it eventually infected my milk ducts too.

What finally worked for me was a very strict diet: from the Women's Hospital in Melbourne. No bread, sugar, mushrooms, vegiemite anything with yeast etc. AND I ended up having Diflucon tablets every two days for a week. Cleared it all up. But you will need to talk to your doc as it was recommended by the hospital BUT not recommended for breastfeeding women on the box. So I had to weigh up the the research and ended up EBM feeding that week.

Hope some of this helps- I know how much it hurts!

LOL! And when I say talk to your Dr, it doesn't have to be THAT Dr! LOL! 15 months and he didnt think you had introduced solids!

Hi Mums,

I am still b/f my 13mth old 3 times a day and a bottle at night. Does anyone know when they start to drop feeds?

Hi Mums,

I am still b/f my 13mth old 3 times a day and a bottle at night. Does anyone know when they start to drop feeds?

Hi AngelaAlan, I've got no idea! But I still give DD 2-3 feeds, depending on what she wants. She is a great eater so I'm not concerned about filling her up on milk.

Is your 13 month old eating solids well?

Hi AngelaAlan, I've got no idea! But I still give DD 2-3 feeds, depending on what she wants. She is a great eater so I'm not concerned about filling her up on milk.

Is your 13 month old eating solids well?

HI there,

Yes she feeds really well at other times. 3 meals per day plus morning and afternoon tea. I guess I am just worrying because I am a more curvy woman that my daughter will be prone to being big also.
It's so nice to see a group of extended breastfeeding mums supporting one another. I'm not feeding my daughter anymore (I weaned her at around 25mths) but I just wanted to wish you all well on your breastfeeding journeys! You are all doing a wonderful thing and should be so proud! Now that I know this is here, it will definitely come in handy next time around, as I plan to feed for even longer grin

Kelly and Serendipity

Well yay we got to 18 months! She's been sooky and can't feed with an ear infection the last 2 weeks but is getting better.

How long is everyone planning to feed for? I originally said 24 months, but if she's keen to keep going so am I.
hi all , im breastfeeding my almost 14 month old . He loves his boobie probably a bit too much ! he chases me around when he wants it or if im holding him and he wants it he will point at my chest . All the mothers in my mothers group want to stop when their bubbas are 1 (they are all a little younger tham DS) they think im crazy to still breastfeed him. I love it but I would like to cut it back to maybe just a morning and before bed feed .
Thanks Kitty, 3 years is amazing! I just read your post about stopping and giving her a photo, that is so beautiful.

I would love to feed until she is 3 but I want to TTC when she is 2.5 so I will see how that goes. Although since she's been sick she has lost a lot of interest in feeding.

Baxters mumma, most of my friends weaned at 12 months at the latest but I was lucky to have my sister who bf all four of hers for 2 years. Just find someone who is feeding longer and use them as back up when you need it!
Hi Mums,

DS and I have nearly made it to 18 months. He was a little sick last week and started feeding during the day again, which he hadn't done for quite a while.

Now he's feeling better, we're back to a regular morning feed and a few sips before bed. DH and I both wonder if he's starting to wean off, as he is slowly cutting down. It would be a pity but I'll be looking to DS to make the decision. I'm still really enjoying it and I know how great it is for DS's immune system etc.

Any other mums going through something similar? Phase or the start of weaning?

Thanks Leila!

I know I will feel a little sad when DS weans but I had always planned to BF as long as we were both happy to.
I have a feeling it's not going to be in the next couple of months though- he has been asking for 'uderboo pease' (other boob please) in the early evenings rather than before bed, and taking more at the feed. And the morning feed is still looking good.

So who knows? cool

Well we have finished, DD got to 18 months and decided she wasn't interested anymore. Bit sad for me, but she is happy and couldn't care less lol.

I spent the last month expressing and mixing it with cereal so it will be nice to give my breasts a break!

Today I will buy myself some Moet & Chandon and toast myself for feeding for that long smile

And soon hopefully make the next one so we can start all over again...

Goodluck and enjoy grin grin
Congratulations SookasMum! smile You've done an amazing job. Enjoy those bubbles!

And all the best for baking the next little bub!

Sign in to follow this topic