Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappy Pants

Learn More
The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Toddler
  4. Feeding your Toddler
  5. Extended Breastfeeding Mums.....

Extended Breastfeeding Mums..... Lock Rss

If your happy with it, I would go for it! I know women whose babies weaned when they were pregnant and then resumed breastfeeding a few months after the baby was born.
I say babies, I should have said toddlers.....

Hi ladies,

Thought I would bump the thread. How is everyone?

Alex is nearly 16 months and still feeding, averaging about 3 times a day now, though it can be more depending on his mood. LOL He has started pulling at my top and everytime I sit down he expects to be fed. PMSL

He's still a lightweight at about 8.5kg and Plunket want to see us in March but I'm not going to, sick of the weight checks and the stress they cause and he's fine. Not sure how I am going to get rid of her (she wouldn't let me out of her office until I had made the appointment) but we'll see. I would have put money on being pregnant before Christmas but a bunch of tests have ruled that out and as soon as I had the HCG results come back last week AF returned. LOL Wish I had seen my normal Dr before Christmas now as this would have been cleared up sooner but you can't change the past.

Kitty I think has had bubs I read somewhere (I think) so news from anyone else?

Christina

Hi all,

I've just noticed this thread and thought I'd say hi, Travis has been on bobby for just over 14months and shows no signs of stopping, he has 3/4 feeds a day. Dh and I have talked about weaning him over the next few months as we're gonna try for number 2, AF is back and regular but I don't know about feeding when PG, isn't it really tiring or does your body adjust, also I've heard some bubs go off the boob when mum gets PG, any advice?

Jen x

Hi all,

I've just noticed this thread and thought I'd say hi, Travis has been on booby for just over 14months and shows no signs of stopping, he has 3/4 feeds a day. Dh and I have talked about weaning him over the next few months as we're gonna try for number 2, AF is back and regular but I don't know about feeding when PG, isn't it really tiring or does your body adjust, also I've heard some bubs go off the boob when mum gets PG, any advice?

Jen x

Its different for everybody. I was pregnant and feeding (until 7 weeks then miscarried) and I found it ok. Some babies do wean, some don't, some start drinking again after bubs is born. Some mums can't stand to feed when pregnant, others don't feel any different. In regards to the tiredness, you would need to take care of yourself anyway, but you would really just have to see how you go. If AF has returned then you could always ttc and see how you feel and wean when needed. If your happy feeding there is no need to stop because you want to ttc. On the other hand, if you don't want to feed while pregnant it might be something to think about. Bear in mind though that if you wean, you still may not get pregnant for a while. Not sure how that fits in with how long you wanted to feed your current munchkin for...

All the best though!!
Hi all! Found this thread and thought I'd drop in - am very happy to see I am not the only "weirdo" getting funny looks for feeding a toddler! Alex is 15 months old and still having about 3 feeds/day - first thing in the morning, afternoon nap time & bedtime - although there are the inevitable comfort-feeds so some days it's more smile We are both happy & comfortable, although I often get a hand in my mouth or a foot waving about & connecting randomly (or the latest - he tries to play with the other boob while he feeds!)

Only problem is lately, whenever I sit down, he thinks he should have booby! He'll climb on my lap & try to pyll up my shirt, and very clearly says "boob" ....other people know exactly what he's saying, so there is no pretending it's anything else - mildly embarrassing at times! grin I do sometimes get strange looks or comments like 'are you STILL feeding?" or they will actually direct their comments to ALEX and say "you're getting too big for that, you're a big boy" (like he knows what they're talking about - or cares!) The most annoying was my father, who visited around Alex's first birthday and told me "you should get him off that, he is going to be a big wuss" I fobbed him off with a "Dr's recommend you breastfeed until 2 now, 'cause it's better for them, so he won't be a wuss, he'll just be healthy!"

Anyway, thanks for reading my essay smile Just glad to have found some like-minded Mummies! I plan to bf until around 2, or, as we've been talking about ttc #2, I may stop when I fall pregnant (or consider tandem, but I kinda like the idea of giving the poor boobies a little rest in between lol.)

Yay for everyone, and their boobies!!
Monkey,

Hmmm.........are your Alex and my Alex clones of each other because they sound exactly alike. LOL Actually Alex can only say bub not boob (or maybe he can and I'm just clueless).

Alex has dramatically cut feeds the last few days, but I think it is because of the heat. He's had the normal 2 feeds today so far and I just boost him with extra calcium on days he is being a bit of a moody so and so.

I like the idea of tandem feeding...but I have a sneaking suspicion that I will have to wean DS2 to get pregnant in the first place, which makes me really sad.....that is if I can convince DP that a 3rd is a good idea and having problems on that front at the moment. LOL It's a hard thing for me, after all the issues I had feeding DS1 I am not keen to wean DS2 with things going so well so I have to weigh up the wanting to keep feeding him with having another baby and it's not an easy choice at the moment, though I really would love another baby. Grr.......why can't I be a giant cliché like everyone else in the world seems to be? LOL

Happy bf ladies, however long you do it for. smile]

Christina

Thank you Thank you Thank you!
Thanks for starting this thread, my son is 10 mnths and my goal for BF was 12months, now I want to BF longer as long as he wants it. Some people do scoff and are surprised that I am still BF but at the end of the day I don't believe cows milk can replace BF and my son has not been sick at all whilst BF and I think that one fact about BF for immunity so overrules anyone's comments. I would rather a healthy toddler. My son is actually slowly weaning himself as he eates 3 meals and two snack a day. In saying that my son now has around 3 BF a day and also takes formula in cereal and once a day from a cup, so I normally time going out so I am not BF in public anymore, that way no-one can stare & I don't have to put up with comments.
Yeah, I haven't had to BF in public for awhile now, which I suppose is a plus - then again, if he really wanted it, my son wouldn't make any secret of it, he'd probably just try to help himself and embarrass me anyway!

The health benefits of extended breastfeeding are definitely there, and yay for your son never having been sick. We kind of have the opposite problem - my son had a urinary tract infection at around 2 months and had had 4 or 5 ear infections by the time he turned one (seems everytime he gets a cold he gets an ear infection!) so for us, the fact that BF helps their immune system is even more important - imagine what he would be like WITHOUT mummy's milk to help his immunities!
Hi there, just wanted to say congratulations to all the long term breastfeeding mums!
Just wanted to pop in and say hi, though I am no longer breastfeeding my DD, I did feed her up until she was 18 months and I got a lot of comments from people that couldn't people I was still doing it and weren't very supportive! So well done!
I think it was a fantastic time for my DD and me! I didn't even mind getting up during the night to give her a comfort feed! though could be tiring, and I must admit my DD has rarely been ill, a couple of colds and that's about it. If you people choose to breast feed then i think they should be supported.(Personally i feel that we have a much stronger bond from all the time breasfeeding!)
Wisihing you all the best!
Just wanted to say, I was surprised this weekend when my SIL gave me a weird look for still BF! She was saying something about what her daughter does when she BF's and I said "yeah, Alex does the same thing" and she looked all surprised and said "you're STILL Breast feeding him?" I just said yep, and sat there, as she continued to BF her 8 month old...
Sign in to follow this topic