for toilet training!

Learn more
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Toddler
  4. Feeding your Toddler
  5. Going from 3 bottles to 2.....

Going from 3 bottles to 2..... Rss

My 14 month old currently has 3 bottles of cows milk a day. I was wondering when I should be cutting that down to 2?
He happily drinks close to 200ml each time. Is there a way to tell when they don't need the extra bottle?

Kristina

Kristina, Mum of James 3yrs & Matilda 14 months

Hi Kristina,

You can try any time from now. Rather than dropping the bottle altogether, why not try and replace it with a sipper cup!

Best of luck,

Tepe

DD5, DS3, DS lost to SIDS at 6mths & DD6m

Thanks for your reply Tepe,
He has water & sometimes juice from a sipper cup, my main concern in giving him his milk in these is that he wouldn't get enough?
Most cups seem pretty slow & so to drink a full cup of milk would take forever. What are your experiences with them, and can you recommend any good ones?
Currently I use the use or loose type First Years brand, cheap and very effective & reusable.

Kristina, Mum of James 3yrs & Matilda 14 months

Kristina,
My daughter is also 14 months and has 2 or 3 bottles of milk a day. Don't worry if he is getting enough milk becuase the dairy requirement is 600ml which is equivalent to 200g tub yoghurt, 30g cheese, 200g custard. So if your son is eating cheese and yoghurt/custard each day don't be concerned about dropping a bottle.

I use the Heinz sipper cups that have a spill proof attachment. If I take it out it the milk flows through fast.
My 13 1/2 mth old has only 1 bottle a day before she goes to bed. I dropped the morning bottle because she was getting up later and having the bottle, then wouldn't eat breakfast.
Because of her allergies etc. she has been closely monitored by a dietitian. She told me that there is no magic amount of milk for toddlers to have. Maya has about 150mls throughout the day from a sipper cup (we use the Tommee Tippee spillproof one) and then 180mls at night. She also has a little bit of formula on her cereal.
Good luck with dropping a bottle. I think it was easy for us coz Maya was breastfed until 91/2 mths and she never really took to the bottle that well. Weaning her off the breast was a different story all together - she had to be weaned because of fail to thrive and she had to be hospitalised to be weaned!

Mum to Maya Grace 02-03, Sienna & Mercedes 10-06

Hi all,

I have two sipper cups, one each child. My daughter has the Avent spill proof one, which i prefer, as all the part are replaceable. As it has been around now, for over two years, that has been important. No matter how much you clean them, they eventually get mouldy, and my daughter has ONLY ever had water in hers.

My son has the Tommee Tippee, i wanted them to be totally different, so there was no arguments from my daughter. All he wants to do is chew and nibble the big sucker part, great for teething, but not for drinking. The water just annoys his job of biting etc.

Good luck,

Tepe

HI Tepe,
We had the Avent breast pump so I bought the cup fittings for it. Do you have to have both the rubber and plastic disc in to make it spill proof? I couldn't figure that out.

Mum to Maya Grace 02-03, Sienna & Mercedes 10-06

Hi Emma,

Yes, you need both pieces in! The soft, round, clear piece is the spill proof part! Hope i am making sense. :~ Also make sure you wash all these pieces separately, and dry well, as these are the parts that i have had to replace from mould, and i only have water in it!

Hope this helps, smile

Tepe

Sign in to follow this topic