Be comfortable in your skin – this is a judgement free zone. Find out more!

Huggies Forum

Switch to Nappy-Pants

for toilet training!

Learn more

How much do you... Rss

DP's mum has a fridge magnet like that I thought it was great!
I never force Isak to eat everything on his plate but hten i dont put on more than what i think e will eat.

if i have put a lot on and he makes a good effort at it he will get dessert

but if he doesnt eat all his dinner when there is not an awful lot on there he doesnt get a treat.

he gets a treat everynight if he eats all his dinner.

We dont expect Noah to eat everything only to eat until hes full.

Having said that though I prefer him to at least touch something on his plate as hes going through a picky phase with meat and vegies and so even when starving wont eat his veges.

Times like these he can refuse it if he wants but hes not allowed to then eat anything later on unless he wants to have another go at dinner.

But as long as he makes some kind of small effort which he usually does, then no we dont force him to finsh everything - sometimes I cant even finish all my meal so why make him?

Oh with dessert, he doesnt have it every night but occasionally on the nights hes had a good go at dinner he has a small tin of custard.

I dont force Lachy to eat as I said, as long as he has made an effort or if its something new he at least has to have a few mouthfuls, but I also wont cook him anything else if he doesnt eat his dinner- if its something he new and he doesnt like it I will make him a sandwich, or give him a bowl of vegies (just as easy to throw some in the steamer and some frozen rice or mash potatoe or sweet potatoe or pumkin which i have cubed in their for DS2), and he will always eat that. I usually say if he doesnt eat half his dinner he has no room for milk after his bath (which he loves), as for a while when Rory was first born he used to try and just have milk like Rory and not eat.

I just dont understand the mindset of the "if you eat this food then you get the good stuff", to me its like saying if you eat the bad food then you can have good food. Sorry if that offends anyone who does it.

eli is just little atm, and hes a good eater, so i know what he will eat. he only wont eat vegies lol.

hes in bed when and if we eat after dinner, and when hes a bit older i will probably make sure he eat least eats enough of his food, rather than him expecting dessert to fill him up.
I dont expect my DD to clear her plate, she's the one who knows when she's full. I'm happy when she eats most things on her plate and I try not to put too much on, she can alays ask for more. At this stage I'm not going to push it (she's 28 months and getting fussy). Overall she eats well so I just put a variety of things on her plate and give heaps of praise when she eats well. We dont have sweets every night either and I dont believe in saying eat all your dinner or you wont get sweets, I think that encourages over eating - they will only eat their dinner to get to the sweet stuff regardless of how hungry they are, its also using food as a bribe. If my DD barely eats any of her dinner then I dont offer sweets as that sends the wrong message too that she just has to knock back dinner but if she's had a good go at it then I would offer her some sweets.
Dinner time is set at 20 mins - if DS (17 mths) manages to eat at least half of what I serve him he gets a piece of fruit for afters. I, like one of the other mums, believe that if they are not hungry enough to eat what is in front of them (well at least half of it) then they are not hungry enough for a piece of fruit. There have been many a night when DS has gone to bed without dinner. But that is how it is in our house - we dont go offering something else just because he doesnt particularly like what is put in front of him. I certainly dont expect him to clear his plate but I at least expect him to eat half. He is certainly not fading away to a shadow I can assure you.
Personally, I don't understand dessert for kids. I mean even for adults its a bit odd unless its after a big lunch.....Don't get me wrong, I love dessert from the bottom of my heart!!! I just don't don't understand why its normal to give kids some sort of sugar as the lead up to bedtime..... sugar is a quick energy boost - it kind of defeats the purpose of quiet time, gentle music, dim lights etc....
I just know if I have a sugar packed dessert, I go to bed giggling and like I am at a a sleepover!!

After dinner if dd is still hungry she has yoghurt (we only use organic natural yoghurt that has nothing else in it except for whole milk.) or slices of cheese, vegies etc. That way it doesn't matter when she is eating - it is always something that is nutritious. I don't understand the point of feeding kids empty calories for the sake of "treats" especially when they are too young to even know what a treat is.

i dont know if this is a silly question, but..

how do u force a child to eat?

my ds doesn't talk much yet so we cant argue with him to eat whatever is on his plate - i dont think arguing gets anywhere anyway.. and i could never imagine physicaly forcing food down a childs throat.

just curious..

our policy at home is that ds will eat when he is hungry, and he does.

[Edited on 16/08/2008]

Will 6 July 06 - Jaida 19 Sept 08

Ollie is generally a good eater however some days he just isnt interested. So I dont make it a big issue.
If hes really tired I make him something I know he will eat as he has his favs.
I think because they are going through so much growing and teething etc they do have their on & off days

He gets dessert regardless of finishing his main or not which is usually homemade yoghurt and fruit.

When I was growing up we had to sit at the table and eat everything on our plates...there was also a menacing big wooden spoon at the end of the table!! I still remember the mouthfuls of chewy meat!!! Arrgghh!!
I dont want meal times to be a big issue for him as it was for me as a kid.

"i dont know if this is a silly question, but..

how do u force a child to eat?

Trying to get a spoon in their mouth when they close their mouth.

Tricking them into eating.

Bribing them into eating.
Sign in to follow this topic