Huggies Forum

Switch to Nappy-Pants

for toilet training!

Learn more

Meat Ideas !!! Rss

Hi, my 15 month old son is very picky eating meat. Rarely eats if fed by us and i think he prefers to eat himself.

Apart from sausages and meat patties i have no other ideas.

please help with advice and ideas smile)

Tania and Jaiden

Hi,

How about bolagnaise or little lamb cutlets (sometimes I have to put tomato sauce on them). Do you have a slow cooker? (I don't but am considering one) - meat in a slow cooker is nice and tender.

I have trouble getting my son to eat meat as well. Although he will eat chicken most times.
Hi

Have you tried roast chicken (cut or break into bite size pieces so he can feed himself), mince meat in a spaghetti bolognaise sauce, mini meatballs, fish cakes (made from tuna, potato, finely chopped onion, egg, bit of season all and breadcrumbs).

My DD wont eating any chewy meat, it has to be soft so she'll have roast chicken, home made rissoles, fish cakes, sausages... we've found a few varieties as sausages are her all time favourite, there's the beef chipolatas, italian beef, sundried tomato & basil chicken sausages - the first two have the heart foundation tick and you can get from woolies, the chicken ones we get from a gourmet chicken shop.

If they refuse meat you can try baked beans or eggs as another source of protein.
hi my DS loves to eat snitchels. beef is usaly the type i buy but i crumb them n make them alil flatter myself b4 i cook it n then i just slice it up n he feeds himself.if u find them alil chewy then u can buy a tendoriser that u just sprinkle on it or any meat n leave it for 15mins n then u cook. i usualy wash it off first but its great. either that or as the others hav said pasta sauces or patties. good luck.

hi my DS loves to eat snitchels. beef is usaly the type i buy but i crumb them n make them alil flatter myself b4 i cook it n then i just slice it up n he feeds himself.if u find them alil chewy then u can buy a tendoriser that u just sprinkle on it or any meat n leave it for 15mins n then u cook. i usualy wash it off first but its great. either that or as the others hav said pasta sauces or patties. good luck.

Oh yeah, I forgot about schnitzel... another favourite with our DD, chicken or veal - we make our own, yummo smile
Shepherds pie is a fav in our house. I like to use pork mince as it is much more tasty.
Also does your son eat ham or bacon? My DS loves them too.

I have been giving my DS a grain called Quinoa (pronounced keen- wa) It is cooked & used the same as rice and is quite nutty in flavour. It has a very high content of protein and is full of antioxidents and has high levels of calcium, potassium, riboflavin, magnesium, zinc, copper B vitamins and folacin. It's considered to be one of the worlds most perfect foods.
Have you tried other alternatives like chickpeas, lentils and haricot beans? they are also a good alternative to meat and have a good content of protein.

DS goes nuts for chicken. He will eat it anyway I do it which includes chicken parmigiana, butter chicken, chicken with garlic mushroom sauce (i just pick the mushrooms off first), I do grilled chicken with salsa and then melted cheese under the grill, chicken kiev, chicken pasta bake etc etc.

He will also eat lasagne, bolognaise, crumbed fish. He's not really a fan of red meat other then mince or beef sausages.

Hi AvaBelle,

As you mentioned about baked bean, which is my favourite. My DD also loves it as I do let her try a little bit when I'm having baked bean. But, I'm not very sure if my DD (now is 12.5 months) can have those general canned baked bean in tomato sauce. Will it be too salty / too much sodium for her? Do you know?
Hiya

We buy the Heinz salt reduced ones, I've noticed they've also introduced a "low salt" one as well so must check out what the difference is between the two.

Baked beans are listed as a healthy food in the booklet we were given at our DD's six month check up which was on introducing solids.... so I think they are ok, just check the packaging.

Its 1g (so 1000mg) of sodium a day for a 12 month old, easy to add up though as its in just about everything from biscuits, cheese, cereal, bread, margerine, yoghurt etc etc.... compare cheeses cause I've noticed Bega slices have twice the sodium as Coon tasty block cheese or slices so we only bought the bega slices once smile
[Edited on 21/09/2008]
Thanks, AvaBelle. You're a very thoughful mum. Thanks for letting me know the cheese sodium level. My DD is having Bega cheddar slice these few weeks sad
Sign in to follow this topic