Huggies Forum

Switch to Nappy-Pants

for toilet training!

Learn more

Taking bottle away Rss

Hi everyone,

Not sure if there is anyone else out there in the same situation but thought I would ask.

My oldest (2)loves his bottles, he will drink out of a cup but prefers bottles, I have tried taking the bottle away from him, but find it hard as his brother (1) is still using a bottle for milk, as if i dotn give him a bottle and give him a cup he will just go and get his brothers bottle! I dont mind him still having a bottle before bed just want to try and get rid of it during the day for things other than milk, he will generally only have milk in the morning and before bed. I am changing his brother to a cup also as I think this is the only solution, the only thing is his brother still drinks a bit of milk and isnt quite comfortable with a cup yet. Does anyone have any suggestions? Any help is really appreciated.

Karlee, WA, 1 & 2 yr old boys.

Hi Karls,

I suppose you've already tried the "your a big boy now & your brothers only a little baby" trick??? Try & prasie him to make him see how clever he is when he drinks from a cup. My 3 year old daughter(also have a 13 month old son) loves it when i give her "big peoples things"!! Maybe you could take him shopping & let him choose his own special big boys cup. That will make him feel important.

The only other suggestion is to give him his drinks in a cup & stand firm & tell him well if he can't drink from a cup then he won't get anything at all. I know this sound cruel but it worked for me. My girl used to carry on sometimes about eating from a certain bowl & i told her it's that or nothing!!!

I probably haven't been much help, but i hope all works out for you. We love them dearly but they are soooooo frustrating at times aren't they??

Michelle - Mum to 2

I think you might have the right idea about changing the little one to a cup also. If they are both having cups rather than bottles there is no excuse for the older child to 'demand' a bottle.

When it came time to wean hannah from a bottle, I just took the teats and popped them in a cupboard. She didn't know where they were - she just presumed they were gone. You could do the same (although I know your 2 year old is probably clue-e-er than a younger child) and that way, the back up is there.

Don't bring them out though! smile Once the two year old knows they're still around its game over for that strategy,

Hannah (3 yrs) and Harry's (born 22/7) Mum! QLD

Hiya,

My daughter is now 3 and over the last 12 months we have given up all her baby things. What has worked for us, is getting her to give it to her baby brother, or choosing something for big kids to replace it.

Have you taken him shopping and asked what big cup he would like. If he picks one out, don't let him use it, till he is clear that there are no more bottles for him.

Maybe he is a bit young,

just a thought anyway,

goodluck,

Tepe

DD5, DS3, DS lost to SIDS at 6mths & DD6m

Sign in to follow this topic