for toilet training!

Learn more
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Toddler
  4. Feeding your Toddler
  5. breakfast time is a nightmare

breakfast time is a nightmare Rss

my 18 month old son is so fussy at breakfast time and i am looking for ways to make him eat a bit better. he will normally only have a peice of cheese and a fruit bar. with the occasional tub if yougart.
i have tried him on several different cerals, which he will generally have one or two mouthfuls before trying to throw the away same goes with toast.
any other ideas would be much appreciated.
I don't know what your son is like with fruit, but I can usually get Maya to eat a banana at breakfast, even if she won't touch her cereal. Also, she won't eat cornflakes or weetbix, only rice bubbles.
How about pureed fruit mixed with infant cereal? maya is 15 mths, and I give her this as a dessert sometimes, but it would be okay for breakfast, You could add a bit of milk or formula to it tomake it creamy too. Or porridge (don't know about that one- Maya won't eat porridge).
Also, does your son have a bottle in the morning. If so, could be that he is not hungry at breakfast time. I had that problem with Maya but once we dropped the morning bottle she started eating more. And maybe wait a little while after he first wakes up so he's wide awake and ready to eat.
Good luck, hope this helps!

Mum to Maya Grace 02-03, Sienna & Mercedes 10-06

Hi Michelle,

Just a thought, but my 18 month old was never great with breakfast either... until recently. I tried giving my daughter dry cereal which she will eat... cornflakes, fruit loops, nutri grain, while these do contain sugar they aslo contain vitamins and minerals and iron. I also can on occassion get my daughter to eat toast with jam, peanut butter or vegemite on it. My daughter will eat yoghurt some days too.

If all that fails I give my toddler a bottle of milk with the toddler formula in it so at leat I know she is getting something nutritous into her tummy.

Goodluck,

Michelle
hi thanks for your replys in regards to the having a bottle in the morning, he doesnt have any drink until after breakfast and about suggesting the milk with toddler formula, it is a struggle to get my little man to dirnk milk and he totally hates the toddler milk but i will try your oter suggestions, hears to hoping hey!!!! thanks again
Maya's not a big milk drinker either. She has 1 bottle of formula at night, and a cup of formula which I top up during the day, but she probably only has abot 350mls of milk all up. I put rice milk on her cereal which she likes (she is alergic to dairy and soy).

Hi Michelle I was just wondering if you try and feed him the cereal or if he does it himself? My son definately prefers the do it yourself method and I have found porridge is great for this as it sticks so well to the spoon. He loves to eat what I am eating so I will sit down to a big bowl of rice bubbles and give him some dry to eat and then introduce them with milk ( I feed him those!!) This has worked with heaps of cereals for us. My son also like eggs for breakfast. Scrambled, boiled with soldiers for dipping or fried in a toasted slice of bread. Just some ideas!!

Kelly,QLD, boy 23.01.03 and girl 08.04.05

Gotta love the self-feeding (and the lovely mess they make!)

Hi,

My son also hates all cereals, and toast seems to end up more one the floor than in his mouth. I give my son banana, usually one and a half, or one with some avacardo.

I am also about to try and mix in a tiny amount of weetbix soon, and try and wean him onto some cereal.

Best of luck,

Tepe

PS, self feeding and mummy don't get along too well in this house sad

DD5, DS3, DS lost to SIDS at 6mths & DD6m

Hi guys - Hamish loves cereal and toast most of the time - but for a change I make him pikelets - only takes a few minutes to make and he loves them plain or with syrup, jam or butter. Maybe give these a try!!

Deb

Deb, Edmonton, Hamish 26/03/03 Toby 16/03/05

yeh pancakes are a favourite in my house , hailie my lil girl is 1 and she stopped her ceral couple of weeks ago so i sometimes offer her yoghurt or bananna apple she loves toast , she stopped eating her ceral due to the fact she wants to feed her self iam really in for it now little miss independent.....QUESTION???? when do they start to feed themselves????
she wants to .. she trys.... usually ends up on floor

kylie (30) from munno para

Maya tries to feed herself. I usually give her a spoon and have a spoon of my own so we can both do it.
The Heinz Apple and Cereal (yellow can) is great for learning to selffeed as it is eally gluey and sticks to the spoon really well.
Beware the mess tho!!! We have a big mat under the highchair but then there's the walls, the furniture.....

Sign in to follow this topic