Nappy Pants

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Toddler
  4. Feeding your Toddler
  5. Full time Work and Breastfeeding

Full time Work and Breastfeeding Lock Rss

My little one is nearly 18mths. Im hoping to stop breastfeeding her soon. But we both find it as a comfort thing. I come home from work and she expects it. She cries at my feet and follows me around the house. I make sure before we get home each night that she has had a snack during the drive home.

My mum says she eats okay during the day, sometimes not much with her during the day. She really likes her baby cereal. But some nights, she tries to feed on me alot that she refuses dinner. Yes I am guilty and should not be doing that. And we do try giving her dinner, but she sometimes completely refuses or has a few spoons. I will have to stop b/f her completely as I am about to start full time work. I'm working 4 days at the moment.

So many mothers list the great amount of things they do for their child and here I am thinking all I do mainly for my child is b/f. I do as much as I can with feeding her food. Don't get me wrong. She refuses so often. Or will only have foods she knows, like chicken, curries, yoghurt rice, cheese, etc. She hates bland foods and only if she is very hungry she will have a jar of the baby foods. Or else, a few spoons and thats it.

She is only 9.23kgs and 79cm height. She was born 2.3kgs premature.

How do I stop breastfeeding her? My health nurse says I should just go cold turkey. She said leave her with my mum for two days or just dont feed her at all from Friday night onwards..

I will try today. But okay, there is terrible part, she still sleeps in our bed. I like her sleeping beside me and it makes life easy to go to work each day with a good night's rest. I think I will have to take rec leave in order to teach her to sleep in her cot.

I feel like a bad mum..The Health nurse she said should be able to point at her nose,ears,mouth if I ask her where those body parts are. I have so many books for her, but most nights dont have the energy to read to her. I need to make much more effort than I am now. sad

Firstly, congratulations for making it to 18 months - that is fantastic!

Secondly, you are not a bad mum. Your bub will do all those things your CHN was saying and keep in mind, she was premmy -that does make a difference. It all takes time and every baby is different. I have this little scenario which keeps me in check at times. When you walk past a school and see all the kids playing at lunch time, do you know which one could point at their nose first? Which one walked first? Which one was bottle fed? Of course not, they all benchmark skills around 5-6 and as long as there are no serious problems (learning disabilities etc) then your little one will be just fine!

I'm not so keen on the cold turkey thing personally. Its pretty rough on both of you. Sure, its one way to get it done quicky but maybe that could be the last resort.

During the weaning period, stick to foods you know she loves and will eat. You have plenty of time to introduce new foods and then the fun and games of them loving some-thing one day, and not the next - lol. Also, do what you can to distract them around BF'ing times - simple things like make sure you don't cuddle them or hold them in a way that will remind them about boobie. Offer a finger food alternative, and distract with play or things like a Wiggles DVD.

For your case, maybe its worth getting your sleeping arrangments sorted first. If you want bub to be in a cot or bed, then do it now - after a week or two tackle weaning off the boobie. If you do it all at once, it is going to be very unsettling and very stressful.

When it comes to weaning, I think its better to do one feed at a time. Pick a particular feed, then simply don't offer it. If it matches to a meal time, fabulous - distract with solids or finger food in stead. Offer a sipper cup with warm milk. After a few days when your bub will be adjusted (if you stick it out) then pick the next feed to drop.

The important thing is to be confident and consistent. If you give in and feed, then its just going to confuse and unsettle your bub.

Once you get back into the swing of work and weaned bub, things will be easier - especially as she gets older. You will be able to balance the routine and do things with her such as reading. Don't be so hard on yourself, its not easy balancing a job and a bub - no one is perfect, and no one is doing every-thing right - what is right anyway?

Best of luck sweetie, in no time bubs this hard stage will be over and you will be onto the next one - like back chatting and then soon enough she will be borrowing your car to go on dates and all sorts - lol.

; )

DD is 3yr 8 months - DS is 6 months

Firstly, congratulations for making it to 18 months - that is fantastic!

Secondly, you are not a bad mum. Your bub will do all those things your CHN was saying and keep in mind, she was premmy -that does make a difference. It all takes time and every baby is different. I have this little scenario which keeps me in check at times. When you walk past a school and see all the kids playing at lunch time, do you know which one could point at their nose first? Which one walked first? Which one was bottle fed? Of course not, they all benchmark skills around 5-6 and as long as there are no serious problems (learning disabilities etc) then your little one will be just fine!

I'm not so keen on the cold turkey thing personally. Its pretty rough on both of you. Sure, its one way to get it done quicky but maybe that could be the last resort.

During the weaning period, stick to foods you know she loves and will eat. You have plenty of time to introduce new foods and then the fun and games of them loving some-thing one day, and not the next - lol. Also, do what you can to distract them around BF'ing times - simple things like make sure you don't cuddle them or hold them in a way that will remind them about boobie. Offer a finger food alternative, and distract with play or things like a Wiggles DVD.

For your case, maybe its worth getting your sleeping arrangments sorted first. If you want bub to be in a cot or bed, then do it now - after a week or two tackle weaning off the boobie. If you do it all at once, it is going to be very unsettling and very stressful.

When it comes to weaning, I think its better to do one feed at a time. Pick a particular feed, then simply don't offer it. If it matches to a meal time, fabulous - distract with solids or finger food in stead. Offer a sipper cup with warm milk. After a few days when your bub will be adjusted (if you stick it out) then pick the next feed to drop.

The important thing is to be confident and consistent. If you give in and feed, then its just going to confuse and unsettle your bub.

Once you get back into the swing of work and weaned bub, things will be easier - especially as she gets older. You will be able to balance the routine and do things with her such as reading. Don't be so hard on yourself, its not easy balancing a job and a bub - no one is perfect, and no one is doing every-thing right - what is right anyway?

Best of luck sweetie, in no time bubs this hard stage will be over and you will be onto the next one - like back chatting and then soon enough she will be borrowing your car to go on dates and all sorts - lol.

; )

DD is 3yr 8 months - DS is 6 months

Hi...

My son has just turned one and I am trying to wean him also as I need to return to work and during the night time he is waking every 2hours for comfort feeds. I have tired giving him bottles for many months and he will not take it. I have tried replacing one breastfeed at a time with a bottle but it doesn't work as he will be skip the bottle and wait for the next breast feed.

Our peditrician has also suggested to go cold turkey. I am going to start from tonight as I think it is my only solution.
Hi.
My baby has also just turned 1 and is still breast feeding. I want to wean him off also. He is ok when i am not around but as soon as he sees me he starts playing up etc... So i feel he wants it more for comfort.
Any suggestions on how i can take him off the boobie?
Hi...
My son is the same. I am doing it cold turkey as he has not responded to any other methods.
Its day 4 now and he seems fine without breastmilk and not fussing too much. However he isn't taking to cows milk but drinking lots more water.
[quote]So many mothers list the great amount of things they do for their child and here I am thinking all I do mainly for my child is b/f.[quote] The greatest thing you are doing for your child is Breastfeeding her!!!! The wonders of it are amazing. You have givin her the best start in life!!!! Well done

I might be way off with this, and I mean this in a positive way, but from the sounds of it, it doesn't actually sound like you want to stop breastfeeding?
Full time work does not mean that you have to stop breastfeeding, I promise! If you want to keep going with one or two feeds a day and a few extras on the weekend, then she will adapt to that, and so will your body.
Also, think about what you would do if she continues to refuse food after she is weaned off the breast? It is quite common, I know a few mums who have weaned to get their toddlers to eat better and their toddlers have continued to refuse food, and no longer had their main source of nutrition.

I'm not trying to change your mind, or make your mind up at all, I just want to mention a few things that you might not have considered.

Also, with her sleeping in bed with you, from the way you've described it, it sounds like a really positive thing for her? A positive attachment, and she always knows that mummy is there for her at night time for cuddles? And it definitely sounds like a positive for you too. Sleeping in the same bed with your child is not terrible! And from what you have said about being too tired to do things like read to her at night - it sounds like it might make you more tired and not less to make the effort to put her in her cot.

Also at her age, she's not far off being able to go into a bed anyway, so you might get to skip the cot all together.

I have some tips for weaning that might help you. Honestly, at 18 months, a few days away from you will almost definitely not work with weaning, she will not forget about breastfeeds that quickly.

Hope what I have said has come across the right way, like I say I don't want to make the decision for you, just want you to know that choosing not to wean, or to keep sleeping together is OK!!!

Bizzare chicken wrote everything I was going to say!!

If you are happy bf when you get home or at night, thats brilliant! No need to give it up if your happy with it! She may be drinking more from you as a comfort thing as she is away from you. She will eat more as time progresses! My dd is 19 months and she has days where she bf more then eats and I am always with her!! Forget about her weight, (my dd is about the same) some kids are just little. My dd has access to bm 24 hours a day, has food available as long as she is awake and she is just little - but extremely active.
bf may be what you both need just for the transition of going back to work. If she is eating solids at your mums place, but not much when you get home - thats ok! Don't worry about what everyone else is feeding their kids. Most have stopped bf in the first 6 months.

If you do stop bf, I also would think cold turkey is a bit harsh. The aba may be able to give you some advice of how to wean gently.

As for the cosleeping, thats ok too! How lovely for you to come home having not seen dd all day and then getting to snuggle up with her for the night. We cosleep and one of our reasons is that dh only sees her for 1/2 hour at night -if that. By cosleeping, they develop a special bond and she cuddles into him at night and then rolls over to me for a feed and then back to him. So colseeping is totally fine - if you are happy with it!! Please don't ever ever feel bad for sleeping with your baby and for bf when she wants it! Thats how babies were designed to be raised. Modern society puts the parents first though and thats why we have come away from that.

All the best with your transition back to work and I hope you work out a way that suits your little family.

xxx
Sign in to follow this topic