Huggies Forum

Switch to Nappy-Pants

for toilet training!

Learn more

Soy Products Rss

Hi mums,

I have a 14month old son who i have recently put on to Soy products, due to constant colds & chest infections. This has made an enormous difference to his health, however the problem I have is i don't really know alot about them. I use the basic products, milk, yogurt, cheese, & cream cheese. What I want to know is if i make something like scones, that are made with milk, i assume he really shouldn't have them. Or do i change the recipie & use soy milk & that will be ok. Th same as savoury scones with cheese & carrots. Do i just change to soy cheese?? I know these sound like silly questions, but i'd like to be able to branch out a bit with my sons food, as he just loves eating, but I don't want to totally restrict him.
Anyone who has any info, or the name of a simple recipie book, would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Regards

Michelle - Mum to 2

Hi Michy,

I really don't have the answers you are looking for, but i would try a simple Womans weekly, or Family Circle, recipe book to try. I am sure they would have soy books.

Otherwise there have been a few other mums asking the same sort of questions in the recipe section, maybe that might help!

Goodluck,

Tepe

DD5, DS3, DS lost to SIDS at 6mths & DD6m

You can use soy milk in most recipes, I'm not sure about soy cheese in muffins? My daughte is allergic to soy, milk, egg and peanut and I bake muffins and scones for her using rice milk and Orgran (egg substitute). I got the recipes from an allergy cookbook I got free from the childrens hospital, but you can pretty much use any recipe. It might take a bit of fiddling with the quantities as soy and rice milk contain less fat than cows milk so give a slightly different texture.
Good luck, and have fun! My daughter is on a very restricted diet, but she loves her muffins and scones. I even made her an egg free soy free milk free chocolate cake for her birthday!

Mum to Maya Grace 02-03, Sienna & Mercedes 10-06

What a super good mummy, smile

I wish i got a bit of her cake, yummy!

Happy Birthday,

Tepe

Hi Tepe & Emma,

Thanks for your replies.

I will muck around a little with a few recipies & to how they turn out I think. He's not allergic to cows milk, just health wise he seems to be better off on soy at the moment!!!

You are a good mum Emma making that apecial chocolate cake. You should post it for recipie of the month. I'm sure there are plenty of mums out there who could use it.

Anyway, happy eating & i'll let you know how i go adapting the recipies.

Thanks again.

Michelle - Mum to 2

I scould post it for recipe of the month, xcept it's not actually my recipe, I got it from an allergy cookbook. But I could post it here (if I get organised enough)

Mum to Maya Grace 02-03, Sienna & Mercedes 10-06

Hi Michy,

My son is also lactose intolerant and I make him all kinds of different foods but just substitute any milk with soy milk. I make him a nice creamy sauce (melt butter, add flour, cook for 1 min then add soy milk until it get to a creamy consitency add a tiny bit of salt and pepper. I add that to anything from mixed vegies to cooked chicken pieces which he loves. I also make him creamed rice - boil 1/2 cup of rice until it is very soft, add 1/4 cup of soy milk (more if you want) plus 1 tablespoon of sugar and a sprinkle of cinnamon. He loves it.

Hope your son enjoys them.

Sam

Mum to toddler

Hi Sam,

Thanks so much for your reply.

To be honest I haven't really tried substituting the milk yet but by the sounds of it, it still turn quite tasty enough for them to scoff down. I will definitely try your recipies. Nicholas loves his vegies so i'm sure a littl white sauce on them would be something different for him.

Thanks for your help.

Regards

Michelle - Mum to 2

Hi Michelle,

I use a lot of Soy products, just to break up some of their dairy. My kids could live on yoghurt, cheese and milk if i let them. I always have a flavoured soy milk in the fridge, either berry, vanilla or strawb (but strawberry isn't too popular). I also buy a carton of soy custard a week too.

Keep up the good work,

Tepe

Hi Tepe,

My son will be 1 in a week and would like to start him on flavoured soy milk to replace his formula. He currently has "soy life" milk and soy life yoghurt (peach) and on occassion has soy custard which he loves. What brand of flavoured soy milk do you buy?

Sam

Mum to toddler

Hi Sam,

This week i tried Vitasoy, vanilla delight, and may i add it has bee a total success with both kiddies. It is in the long life milk section.

I tried a few fresh varieties, but they only had strawberry and berrie where i shop and they were too sweet for my kidlets.

My son also loves the soy custard.

Goodluck,

Tepe

Hi Tepe,

Thank you so much for your reply. I will look out for it at the shops today.

Mum to toddler

Sign in to follow this topic