Be comfortable in your skin – this is a judgement free zone. Find out more!

Huggies Forum

Switch to Nappy-Pants

for toilet training!

Learn more

2nd Birthday Rss

I will be having a birthday party for my little one in a few weeks. The party will start at 4pm and it is therefore not a meal time. I am really stuck for ideas of what food to serve. Apart from the frozen foods available, does anyone have any ideas for finger foods, that would be suitable for adults and 2 year olds.

Catrinna, VIC, 17mth baby

Cupcakes with different colored icing, little red sausages (in the deli at the supermarket), little sandwiches, fairy bread, mini donuts, carrot and celery sticks with cheese spread for dipping, shapes crackers, animal biscuits

Mum to Maya Grace 02-03, Sienna & Mercedes 10-06

I have made "puppydogs" instead of hotdogs for my kid's parties. I use the little bake-at-home bread rolls from the supermarket and bake them until cooked, but still fairly soft. I then place a heated cheerio (mini frankfurt) into the bun and top with tomato sauce..They are the cutest things, and you could put cheese on them if you wanted. They are always a hit. I like to prepare 'mini-things' like mini-quiche or mini-muffins and mini-cupcakes. I buy multipacks of potato chips so each child has a portion controlled serve and the mums can help control what chips they choose. (For example, my son can not have cheezels or Twisties because of the colourings - they give him hives). Little ones love to decorate their own cupcakes - just ice them (or let mum help them) and put out a few toppings to choose from, like sprinkles, jellytots or smarties. If you are brave about the mess of course! I make cheese platters for the adults and extras of the kid's food. You can make birthday cakes in ice-cream cones to avoid messy hands. Mix up packet cake mix according to the packet instructions. Pour into small, square bottomed cones and bake at instructed temperature until cooked thru. (usually 10-15 mins - test with a skewer). Then ice them when they are cool and decorate. The kids might not eat all the cone, but they make a good 'holder'. I do these for preschool or school birthdays. Finally, there are lots of great birthday party sites online. Try birthdaypartyideas.com or do a search engine search....have a great time preparing..

Domestic Goddess Mum of Four!

Thank you so much Emma and Nyrrek for the ideas. I have decided to order a couple of platters from the deli for the adults with antipasto, meats and cheeses, the kids could nibble on a few of these too. Then for the kids I will also make some of your suggestions all the mini foods will be a huge hit I think. I am just about to have a look at the party ideas website too. Very excited now, cant wait.

Catrinna, VIC, 17mth baby

how about nachos? a damper dip, home made mini pizzas or quiches

mum of 3 boys aged 11, 13 and 14

Sign in to follow this topic