Learn more
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Toddler
  4. Feeding your Toddler
  5. Toddler Only Wanting Drink At Meal Times And Not Eating Meals

Toddler Only Wanting Drink At Meal Times And Not Eating Meals Rss

Hello All,

Just wondering if anyone else can relate to my current dilema...

I have a 19.5 month old who up until recently has been a really good eater. She normally loves her vegetables and will give meat a go sometimes. Recently at lunch and dinner time all she wants to do is drink. She won't eat a mouthful of food and constantly askes for drink. When I tell her no drink until she eats something, she throws a tantrum in her highchair. If it was a one off I would understand, but she has been doing it for about a week now. I have tried offering her lots of different foods as well as her old favourites, but nothing is working. If I give in, and give her a drink, she fills her belly with it and still eats nothing.

Any ideas...?

Thanks in advance for any replies smile

Michelle
Hi Michelle,

Hopefully it is a stage, and she will go back to normal soon.

I would though, stick to your guns about the drink, and tell her no drink until she has eaten. Try and keep this up for half an hour, if she still hasn't eaten, then offer her a drink. If it's possible walk away and ignore her tantrum. She will soon learn that this behaviour doesn't get her anywhere.

Another thought, is she drinking water?? Maybe you could tell her only water at meal times.

Goodluck sweetie, and i really hope that when you read this, things have already started to improve.

Take care,

Tepe

DD5, DS3, DS lost to SIDS at 6mths & DD6m

Hi Tepe,

Thanks so much for your response. I have infact just started to offer water instead of juice at meal times. My darling toddler is very stubborn however and since I am virtually 9 months pregnant I do walk away from her when she goes off on a tantrum. I usually walk just out of her sight and wait for her to calm down. She hasn't improved much in the past few days... I am wondering if she is feeling the slight anxiety of us all with the impending birth of her brother? Maybe she is reacting to us... or is she just being a toddler???

Time will tell...

Thanks so much for your suggestions and kind words. I will stick with offering just water and see how we go.

Michelle
Oh Michelle you have your hands full! Oh well, try to be reassured that she won't starve herself, when she's hungry enough she'll have to give in and eat! But good on you for sticking to your guns, it's hard enough for me with my 16 mth old, and I'm not pregnant!
Good luck with the birth, and with Maddy's adjustment.

Mum to Maya Grace 02-03, Sienna & Mercedes 10-06

Hi Emma,

Thanks so much for your response... I guess she won't starve herself, but it doesn't stop me from worrying about her. The joys of being a mum hey...?

How is your delighful daughter going? I hope she is being good for her mummy...

Take care,

Michelle smile

Oh she's a monkey that girl of mine. Yesterday she emptied all th epotatoes into the fireplace (I think she saw her dad putting the coal in the fire and got confused!!). And she holds her little drink cup up and says 'cheers' (big sister taught her that one). And still climbing incessantly, on the table, the couch, the bed....

Mum to Maya Grace 02-03, Sienna & Mercedes 10-06

Sign in to follow this topic