for toilet training!

Learn more
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Toddler
  4. Feeding your Toddler
  5. Weaning toddler off bottles

Weaning toddler off bottles Lock Rss

I am currently trying to wean my 2 and a half year old off his bottles, but while he will happily drink two bottles of milk, if I give him a cup he will only drink a sip or two. He drinks everything else out of a cup without a problem. I have so far tried giving him a 'special' cup, giving him a straw to make it more interesting for him, putting various types of flavouring in it incl. milo, caramel topping, chocolate and strawberry quik etc(which he doesn't like), and so far nothing has worked. Any other ideas???? Should I just go cold turkey on the bottles and hope he misses his milk enough that he will eventually drink it out of a cup??
Just go cold turkey. If he can already drink anything else out of a cup then its just him being fussy. He will come around eventually, just keep offering in a cup and he'll soon realise theres no more bottles.

And dont give him milk mixed with any flavourings as its bad for his teeth!! Eek!!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
As long as your DS has other sources of calcium in his diet (yoghurt, cheese etc) then at that age they really don't "need" to be having the bottles.

I cut out one bottle at a time with DD1. Cut one for a week then just didn't offer the other a week later. No problem.

Would definitely not be putting any topping or additives in their milk though.

I am currently trying to wean my 2 and a half year old off his bottles, but while he will happily drink two bottles of milk, if I give him a cup he will only drink a sip or two. He drinks everything else out of a cup without a problem. I have so far tried giving him a 'special' cup, giving him a straw to make it more interesting for him, putting various types of flavouring in it incl. milo, caramel topping, chocolate and strawberry quik etc(which he doesn't like), and so far nothing has worked. Any other ideas???? Should I just go cold turkey on the bottles and hope he misses his milk enough that he will eventually drink it out of a cup??

Hi

I've had this issue, if you can call it that - cause really its no biggie, with my first and now my second. The bottle of milk is a comfort thing, and up till now milk has always been in a bottle - so why are you changing it mummy?? They like to suck on the bottle, its comforting. Both mine were happy to drink milk from a bottle, give it in a cup and nope - not interested in that! When I cut out the bottle with DD1 her milk intake drastically reduced... have yet to cut it out with DD2 who has just turned 2. With my eldest she enjoys a cup of milk with a sippah straw every now and then, that's the least sugary way of having a cup of milk I've found (in comparison to adding topping or other flavourings, which IMO defeat the purpose of giving them milk if you are adding that much sugar).

From 1-3 years of age the calcium requirement is 500mg a day, 250mls of cows milk is 295mg calcium so that and some yoghurt and cheese and they will get their requirement. If your little one is dead set on the bottle then perhaps give one a day and use cows milk on cereal, offer yoghurt and cheese and work it out that way. Milk at this age is not a "feed", its just one source of calcium so its about getting calcium into them, not a certain amount of milk.

The important thing is that teeth are cleaned after the bottle, if that's happening it doesnt matter if he wants milk from a bottle.
you can get the non spill bottles that also come with the straw attachment have you tried giving him one of them and once he is drinking out of that to try putting the straw attachment on.

my girls gave up the bottle with ease one put it down in the shop and lost it and i said oh well no more bottles now and i never hurd another peep about it the second prefured the cup over the bottle but is attached to the dummy am about to have next one in 9wks and don't know weather to take the dummy now or after new one is born and everyone is settled.
I have just got rid off my DD's bottles this weekend. She is 2 and 4 months. I got really tired off buying new teats for her bottles as she used to chew them and they would get holes in them. So one Saturday I showed her all of the teats that had holes in them and told her they were broken and ask if she could put them in the bin. She checked them out one by one and then trotted off to the bin and put them in. I then showed her a new cup I had bought her that has a soft sippy top thing on it. I said we will put your milk in this cup now. She seemed fine with it at the time.

Late when it came time for her milk she wasn't too impressed about the cup. I reminder her that the bottles were broken and she put them in the bin and she seemed to except that and eventually she just drank the milk out of this cup with the soft sippy lid.

Tonight is night 3 now and she is totally fine with it. I didn't think it would be that easy but it was. Also, my DD can not talk yet so she is difficult to communicate with but she seemed to understand that the bottles were broken.
I would just go cold turkey and give extra calcium in food until he starts using cup. Yogurt and cheese are the easiest but you can put extra milk on cereal, give cheese sauces etc. If you are really worried about calcium then when you are out and you have a coffe get your toddler a cup of Luke warm milk in takeaway cup and put straw in lid. My toddler used to love having milk this way. If that doesn't work then, if you must, give things like baby chinos and milkshakes as a treat but I wouldnt have them much and I wouldn't offer Milo etc in milk at home as your toddler will get used to it and not want plain milk.

Stick to you guns and your toddler will figure out the bottles are gone and start to use the cup. 'losing' them or similar stories are useful at this age.
With DS1 he was 2 yrs 7 months when we got rid of his bottles, as we were having DS2 in a months time after that and knew we would need the bottles for the new bub. We just went cold turkey, I kept offering him milk in a cup but he wouldnt drink it, he got over it in 2 days and then started to drink more water (he was eating plenty of cheese, yoghurt etc so i wasnt worried about his calcium intake)

With DS2 we stopped giving him a bottle when he was about 20 months and put his milk in an avent magic cup with the green spout, he was only having it at night time before bed and I slowly started to realize that he was leaving more and more milk in the cup so figured he didnt really need it anymore, we went cold turkey with that when he was about 22 months and never had an issue whatsoever, he didnt even notice.

Tell you what, its so nice not to have to wash bottles (well at least it has been, having DS3 in 5 weeks, lol)

Sign in to follow this topic