for toilet training!

Learn more
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Toddler
  4. Feeding your Toddler
  5. Extremely Healthy toddlers

Extremely Healthy toddlers Lock Rss

This is a thread for parents who run extrememly nutritious households, and who are tired of being treated like psychos for upholding this rule nand for teaching their kids about good nutrition.

My kids have never had chocolate or icecream. If someone gives them a chip at the park, they will turn it down with no intervention from me. They simply know it is not good for them and that healthy, nutritious food will help them to reach their optimum level of health, concentration and behaviour. They are aware of their nutritional needs and could shop for themselves if given the chance.

Everywhere I go, I am overwhelmed by the bad nutrition that exists. Child play centres have a "no outside food" rule but sell junk only!

Those I know are aware of my rules. Yet for some reason, noone can accept it. They feel the need to continually offer my children unhealthy food and make snide comments often relating to how I am depriving them. Does anyone else suffer this? I imagine that vegetarian families would likely suffer a similar fate...
while i dont follow the same rules as you, i would have no problem with accepting it for your children and would not force anything onto any child. my family eats well most of the time, but do have treats and "bad food" occasionally and i see no harm in it.

i do know of a family though, who's parents had very strict rules as you do, and were told not to eat at childrens parties, cant have this, cant have that etc. which was all well and good at the time. yes, they were very healthy children, the children did do the right thing and never ate the chips for example, but as they got older it all backfired (not at all saying this will happen to you). becuase they were "not allowed" to eat bad food, when they came of age where they could sneak food in adn the have money to buy it, they totally gorged themselves, to the point where as teenagers, the 2 kids are overweight, have food issues, and have actually been caught at other peoples houses stealing "bad food" out of their pantry.

again, not saying this will happen to you at all, but sometimes all the good intentions in the world dont always work out. but others should respect your decision whether they agree or not!

This is a thread for parents who run extrememly nutritious households, and who are tired of being treated like psychos for upholding this rule nand for teaching their kids about good nutrition.

My kids have never had chocolate or icecream. If someone gives them a chip at the park, they will turn it down with no intervention from me. They simply know it is not good for them and that healthy, nutritious food will help them to reach their optimum level of health, concentration and behaviour. They are aware of their nutritional needs and could shop for themselves if given the chance.

Everywhere I go, I am overwhelmed by the bad nutrition that exists. Child play centres have a "no outside food" rule but sell junk only!

Those I know are aware of my rules. Yet for some reason, noone can accept it. They feel the need to continually offer my children unhealthy food and make snide comments often relating to how I am depriving them. Does anyone else suffer this? I imagine that vegetarian families would likely suffer a similar fate...

I totally agree with you smile
My DD (who is 9 months) has been on solids since she was 4 months (she was 3 months preemie). We have always had her on very healthy food, as my whole household is. Although, DD is on a "fattening" medication as she is very underweight!!
Anyway, just wanted to let you know that I agree with what you are doing. smile

i do know of a family though, who's parents had very strict rules as you do, and were told not to eat at childrens parties, cant have this, cant have that etc. which was all well and good at the time. yes, they were very healthy children, the children did do the right thing and never ate the chips for example, but as they got older it all backfired (not at all saying this will happen to you). becuase they were "not allowed" to eat bad food, when they came of age where they could sneak food in adn the have money to buy it, they totally gorged themselves, to the point where as teenagers, the 2 kids are overweight, have food issues, and have actually been caught at other peoples houses stealing "bad food" out of their pantry.

This is my DH & his 3 siblings too. Although his parents didnt do it out of 'nutritious' value, they just refused to purchase 'bad foods' as they deemed them too expensive. My DH & all 3 of his siblings have some kind of food issue - they are all different issues, but have affected them their whole lives.

My children on the other hand eat extremely healthily - well, miss 4 thinks that vegemite toast is appropriate every meal of the day, plus snacks as well wacko . Nothing in our house is technically 'not allowed', but of course there are foods that they are only allowed occasionally & foods that i just simply do not purchase.

I do think that it is important to teach young children the value of nutritious foods
Also, windmill - i dont think youre psycho for being this way - it is a little extreme for MY family & the world could do with a few more people that eat less crap & more fresh food!!
My mum ran an extremely nutritious household while I was growing up, lots of fruit and veges, she made her own yoghurt and cheese, we drank goats milk, and for a treat we got a Fruju and at Easter we had a carob egg. It all backfired though and now I just LOVE chips, chocolate, biscuits, everything we weren't allowed. I don't really keep that stuff in the house because I just eat it all.

I think other parents should respect your decision though. It is wrong that they try and give your kids bad food. I want my DS to grow up eating really healthy food too but I don't think I will be as extreme as my mum smile

while i dont follow the same rules as you, i would have no problem with accepting it for your children and would not force anything onto any child. my family eats well most of the time, but do have treats and "bad food" occasionally and i see no harm in it.

again, not saying this will happen to you at all, but sometimes all the good intentions in the world dont always work out. but others should respect your decision whether they agree or not!

An old flatmate of mine and her brothers were just like that!

They were not allowed most things that other kids were and as soon as they could buy it for themselves they went way over the top. They would each sit and eat an entire 2L tub of icecream each in one go and/or a family size pack of chips or lollies. I would sit and watch in amazement at the amount that they were eating!!!

This happened daily!!!

Aswell I'm not saying that this will always be the case but might want to watch for the signs as they get older.

E_Jw - I was exactly the same with my thre kids. Trust me, it's easy up until they're 2yrs or so. DD1 and DS had nothing but homemade food that was purely fruit, veg and meat until they were 18 mths. Neither of them had ever tasted a chicken nugget, Macca's or any fastfood until they were 2 or more. I'm not going to deny my kids chips/lollies etc. at a party if that's whaat's on offer and what all the other kids are eating.

I believe in treats in moderation.

Good for you for running a HEALTHY house hold!! it can be so easy to just give a child processed food rather then a made meal.

I like to give my child a healthy diet BUT i do allow her to have treats every now and then, my daughter has had chocolate and chips and lollies but we teach portion sizes. so rather then giving my daughter a whole packet of chips, she gets a hand full in a bowel....if she is still wanting more....she can have some fruit.

If we go to the birthday party my DD knows to not over indudge, and usually ends up emptying the fruit platter (real fruit bat)

I think teaching children about heathly eating is very important but I also believe in letting them experience some different things in life and 'sometimes' food is one of those things for us.

I rarely got treats are a kid....i mean RARELY and when i moved out of home i wanted to eat it ALL.....thank god i have a pretty good metabilism!!!

I think you must be doing a good job to not have caved....i personally love my 'sometimes' food smile

E_Jw - I was exactly the same with my thre kids. Trust me, it's easy up until they're 2yrs or so. DD1 and DS had nothing but homemade food that was purely fruit, veg and meat until they were 18 mths. Neither of them had ever tasted a chicken nugget, Macca's or any fastfood until they were 2 or more. I'm not going to deny my kids chips/lollies etc. at a party if that's whaat's on offer and what all the other kids are eating.

I believe in treats in moderation.
[/quote]

I will definatley be offering 'treats' etc, but we all eat healthy so she will be too smile But not 'strict' healthy only! We also have strict instructions about several things from our dietitian (incl. double strength formula!).
smile
Although you are bringing your children up the way you want them to I wonder how long its going to last. Are they going to be allowed to go to birthday parties? to other peoples houses for tea? anywhere without you mothering them? as 7-8-9year olds i can tell you they swap lunches.

Although i think you think you are doing this for the right reasons my brothers kids have too been brought up this way also and at the age of 11 and 13 will gorge themselves on food to the point of being sick.

My kids if they find it in the cupboard they can have it. Most stuff is home made but they still get KFC including Boston! char grilled, Indian, thai, chinese, and pizza.

My oldest plays sport and does karate and the little two are busy also, they eat everything and anything, unless they have allergies i say live a little.

Also to be honest I wouldn't want your kids at my house playing we have had kids like that here before and to be honest i can't be bothered with the oh they arn't allowed this or that etc. unless its a allergy, not saying that i am offering them junk but some kids arn't even allowed crackers and cheese.

An old flatmate of mine and her brothers were just like that!

They were not allowed most things that other kids were and as soon as they could buy it for themselves they went way over the top. They would each sit and eat an entire 2L tub of icecream each in one go and/or a family size pack of chips or lollies. I would sit and watch in amazement at the amount that they were eating!!!

This happened daily!!!

I understand this kind of household and situation. I too have many memories of households who forced their kids into things. If the child sees no reason to continue other than they are not allowed, clearly this is not going to work. I had a friend like this who was forced to be vegetarian. (ate meat every chance she could out of the house!) A agree that severe restriction is not really helpful.

My household is not restricted, and the kids actually do have a choice. They will not turn down a chip for fear of being disciplined for example, but for the knowledge that it is unhealthy and that I would not eat that either. To me it is more about leading by example. They eat what I eat basically. We don't have junk in the house, and at birthday parties they just choose the savoury options (they know it leads to tantrums and crying). As well, my daugher has eczema and food colourings and preservarives cause her eczema to become infected and pussing overnight. So she is motivated by this too.

In real life, people often act in an unhealthy (nutrition and otherwise) way, I like to think they will know how to make the right choice regardless of peer pressure.

I eat raw vegies as a snack, and we eat vegetarian almost every day. So I believe that they will likely follow my lead as this is their normal. They never even think about junk food, they don't watch tv so they don't see ads, and it is just not in the house. It is not a case of restriction as they simply are not exposed to it.

The thread was mainly aimed at like minded parents who were sick of other parents taking offence simply because they do not allow their kids to eat what they offer. People just see what they and I eat and think it is over the top. When really, I love veggies and cannot stand the thought of junk. Eating it makes me feel physically sick.

I predicted the thread would take the turn of -- forcing them doesnt work -- same as the comments I get in real life.

But if you allow kids the opportunity to have decisions and input in their lives as equals and as adults do, then you will be surprised at how mature they become, and at the good choices they will make.

If you look at other cultures, there are much lower obesity, diabetes, behavioural and heart problem levels -- the kids just have a different way of life.

Although you are bringing your children up the way you want them to I wonder how long its going to last. Are they going to be allowed to go to birthday parties? to other peoples houses for tea? anywhere without you mothering them? as 7-8-9year olds i can tell you they swap lunches.

Although i think you think you are doing this for the right reasons my brothers kids have too been brought up this way also and at the age of 11 and 13 will gorge themselves on food to the point of being sick.

My kids if they find it in the cupboard they can have it. Most stuff is home made but they still get KFC including Boston! char grilled, Indian, thai, chinese, and pizza.

My oldest plays sport and does karate and the little two are busy also, they eat everything and anything, unless they have allergies i say live a little.

Also to be honest I wouldn't want your kids at my house playing we have had kids like that here before and to be honest i can't be bothered with the oh they arn't allowed this or that etc. unless its a allergy, not saying that i am offering them junk but some kids arn't even allowed crackers and cheese.

If all you have is junk at your house, I would not allow my children to go there. It is hardly "mothering" to encourage healthy eating. Do you have a healthy lifestyle and healthy exercise and dietary habits? Will you be passing this on to your children?

I personally could never eat KFC, never have and never will. Let alone give it to my children.

If you do not want other kids at your house simply because they are not allowed preservatives and junk food, then geez that is awful.

PMH has actually conducted independent studies and found that every day there is on average one child admitted due simply to an allergy to preservatives. Perth is a pretty small place, the study is important.
Sign in to follow this topic