Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappy Pants

Learn More

Just a Vent! Lock Rss

Hi Ladies

This is just a vent so no need to reply .. *sigh*

DD is 18 months old and I honestly don't look forward to meal times anymore. She wouldn't want to be fed most of the time, meaning she wants to eat herself, which I don't have a problem with. Even though she ends up looking like the food she's eating - because it's usually smeared all over her face and hair - but again, I can just pick her up and give her a quick shower and we're back to being clean (yes sometimes a shower after every meal!!!). But what I'm really sick and tired of is how when she doesn't want the food anymore, she starts throwing it on the floor (and we have carpet at home). I find bits of food EVERYWHERE! And I mean it! In the dining area we have some shelves right behind the dining table, so sometimes she feels like throwing things backwards, so it goes on the shelves and between the stuff that's on the shelves! I always find bits of pasta, fruit, you name it.. and I dread cleaning up after every meal. Vaccuum won't do because I usually need to pick up everything then clean the carpet too - if she was having pasta then the carpet needs a good clean from the tomatoe sauce! I've tried putting a piece of vinyl under her highchair, but she aims for further points! I keep telling her if she doesn't want to eat something to put it on the side on her table. ARGH! I just want her to stop this habit sad

Thanks for listening.
<<<GBH>>> I know how hard this time is.. My DS1 was doing this and it drove me insane! He grew out of it thankfully. so hopefully ur lil DD does too...

See if you can get some plastic lining (alot) and use that under her high chair.
Hmm two suggestions you may have tried these ideas, one is to let her choose the food from a plate that you keep out of reach, so she only has one food item (or very small amount of pasta etc) on her highchair at a time, if she throws it then say no pick it up and place on her highchair (or on smaller plate and say please put it here when you have finished), or if you want to be really tough (only you will know if this may work for your daughter) give her a warning tell her next time the food will be taken away (please note food will only be taken away for throwing) and if she continues then take it away and take her out of the high chair and say when you are ready to eat without throwing then you may come back, let her go play or whatever, offer again in 10-20mins and say would you like to come eat without throwing? Please ensure you only remove the food if you have caught her deliberatly throwing, not if she is trying to eat it and gets all over her face smile (not saying you would but in case others having similar problem try it) Good luck, summer time is great when try want to feed themselves cause you can put them outside!! Shame it's winter!!

We have just started this stage with DS2, i use a couple of towels on the floor etc but the reality its a stage that they will grow out of.
Im just lucky we have a 8 month old lab who comes inside after every meal and clears up the food all over the floor then a quick vacuum and its done. Hang in there hoping this stage passes shortly for you.

Hi Ladies

DD is 18 months old and I honestly don't look forward to meal times anymore. She wouldn't want to be fed most of the time, meaning she wants to eat herself, which I don't have a problem with. Even though she ends up looking like the food she's eating - because it's usually smeared all over her face and hair - but again, I can just pick her up and give her a quick shower and we're back to being clean (yes sometimes a shower after every meal!!!). But what I'm really sick and tired of is how when she doesn't want the food anymore, she starts throwing it on the floor (and we have carpet at home). I find bits of food EVERYWHERE! And I mean it! In the dining area we have some shelves right behind the dining table, so sometimes she feels like throwing things backwards, so it goes on the shelves and between the stuff that's on the shelves! I always find bits of pasta, fruit, you name it.. and I dread cleaning up after every meal. Vaccuum won't do because I usually need to pick up everything then clean the carpet too - if she was having pasta then the carpet needs a good clean from the tomatoe sauce! I've tried putting a piece of vinyl under her highchair, but she aims for further points! I keep telling her if she doesn't want to eat something to put it on the side on her table. ARGH! I just want her to stop this habit sad

Thanks for listening.

Hi

I'd move her highchair into the kitchen and feed her there, tell her if she throws her food you will take it away - then when she does take the food away and get her out of her chair. OR you can leave her in the chair and tell her she wont get the food back if she is going to throw it. Works especially well when they are hungry smile

I did this with both my kids and it only took a few times of me taking their food away for them to stop it.
Thanks for the replies ladies! I'll try what you have all suggested .. she's not a big eater as it is, so I don't see her crying out for food if I take it off her .. but I'm gonna try my best to stop this habit .. cleaning up thoroughly after every meal is starting to get to me!
I just posted about the same issue I'm having with my 15 month old - everything gets thrown, drives me nuts so I completely understand what you're going through. I'll try some of the tips you've received too!

Hi Ladies

Thanks for listening.
[/quote]
Sign in to follow this topic