Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappy Pants

Learn More
The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Toddler
  4. Feeding your Toddler
  5. Advice and ideas for new big sister!

Advice and ideas for new big sister! Lock Rss

Gday Guys/Gals

My first post @ huggies smile. Anyway, Me and the wife have a Daughter, Amber who is nearly 3 and she has recently become a big sister to a little brother Luke. As we expected our once little Angel has become somewhat defiant and stubborn as she isn't the centre of attention anymore. We have done all we can to involve her. Helping pass nappies and get us bits and pieces when tending to Luke. We have brought her a baby doll and crib that she isn't that interested in. Although she is good with her brother and adores him, its us that she seems to be really testing atm. Its hard to give her the time we used to be able to. She will eat small portions of meals and not eat. When asked politly to eat she stamps her feet and says no!, she is hitting us occasionally. Having little tantrums and whaling when we try to correct and speak to her. Sometimes we cant speak to her without raising our voice as she whales loud, and even louder as we raise our voice. We have made a naughty corner and place her there for a minute or two. We have tried picking her up and putting her in her room, but it doesn't seem to be working. Maybe we are expecting to much as she is nearly 3 and has to share the house with a brother now. Its just we know shes very smart and should be learning but its just attention seeking. I'm after a few hints and tips to try. I'm sure some of you guys have been through this not so pleasant phase.

Gday Guys/Gals

My first post @ huggies smile. Anyway, Me and the wife have a Daughter, Amber who is nearly 3 and she has recently become a big sister to a little brother Luke. As we expected our once little Angel has become somewhat defiant and stubborn as she isn't the centre of attention anymore. We have done all we can to involve her. Helping pass nappies and get us bits and pieces when tending to Luke. We have brought her a baby doll and crib that she isn't that interested in. Although she is good with her brother and adores him, its us that she seems to be really testing atm. Its hard to give her the time we used to be able to. She will eat small portions of meals and not eat. When asked politly to eat she stamps her feet and says no!, she is hitting us occasionally. Having little tantrums and whaling when we try to correct and speak to her. Sometimes we cant speak to her without raising our voice as she whales loud, and even louder as we raise our voice. We have made a naughty corner and place her there for a minute or two. We have tried picking her up and putting her in her room, but it doesn't seem to be working. Maybe we are expecting to much as she is nearly 3 and has to share the house with a brother now. Its just we know shes very smart and should be learning but its just attention seeking. I'm after a few hints and tips to try. I'm sure some of you guys have been through this not so pleasant phase.

hi, i am glad i came across this post, as i am pregnant at the moment with second child, and our daughter will be three when bub is born. i don't know how much advice i can give you, as i was planing to do all the things you have listed. i hope this gets better for you all. maybe, some one on one time with your 3 year old daughter might be needed or extra stories at night. good luck
Haha, congrats. Oh the joys you have to look foward to. smile
Just because our daughter has turned into little miss naughty doesn't mean your will. Unlikely though smile Yeah we read to her every night as we have done since she was 6 months old. Difference is now its daddy doing it and not mummy as she is feeding bub. She gets as much one on one time as we can give. She gets taken out at least once a day, to a park, playcentre or just a walk with the dog. I really think the main problem is that she spent a lot of time with mum while dads working. Now mums very busy with the little one and its daddy doing a lot while I'm home on holidays. Maybe when I'm back at work in a month and mums gotta do a few more things with her it will get better. But mums gunna feel the pain then. Agh the joys of parenthood.
Our daughter was 19 months when little brother came along. There was many big changes - moved house soon after, but in with my sister and her husband, I was finally off bedrest after 3 1/2 months in bed where she got my undivided attention in bed, but was'run' by almost anyone that could help. But for the last few months, Dad quit work and was full time carer for both of us. Now he get her out of bed while I catch up on sleep and puts her to bed. That hasn't changed. She's taken a while to get naughty, but I am really seeing it latley. So I guess, in a way, a lot of things changed for her. And I get a small blanket and we 'swaddle' baby together. Show her how to burp baby. Actually show her everything. And when he is sleeping just be with her. Read books, do craft, tickle her. What ever, lay on the grass.
I try not to say "I'm busy with Bowie" or "I can't because I'm feeding Bowie". I say I'm busy, or we can play later, or I'll get you a drink when I'm finished here. Try not to make baby brother the reason for everything by naming him.
But alas, still there has been a change. So not sure if that will help you?
Out of curiousity - did you find your eldest become more openly definant a few months before turning 2? Hoping it is age and not circumstance?
We do mention Lukes name alot when we say stuff like, "mums feeding luke" or "mums busy with Luke. Not mentioning his name might help somewhat, I might try that, thanks! To be honest this behaviour really only started maybe a month or two before baby came home, just when she really started to relise there will be a new baby in the house soon. It got worse when baby came home. If its age related its a massive coincidence with the new baby, but I think it because she aint the centre of attention anymore and that she is sharing mum & dad now. I'm not sure if theres really anything more we can be doing. When Luke is older and crawling and talking she will be able to play with him alot more which should settle things. Thanks for the tips!
Sign in to follow this topic