Nappy Pants

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Toddler
  4. Feeding your Toddler
  5. 21mth old won't eat dinner

21mth old won't eat dinner Lock Rss

Okay I'm having same issues with my 21mth old. He eats breaky, lunch but come to dinner - nothing. I don't feed him after lunch - no snacks no bottles, no bottle before bed - he still won't eat. I often get a 5am wake up because he is hungry.

Lunch isn't huge either just a sandwich. He will eat yogurt, cheese etc but no meat or vegies. Have tried casseroles, cottage pie, pasta bakes, meatloaf, meat and separate veg etc

He will eat the yummy things though like ravioli (no sauce), chicken nuggets, hot chips and snack food.

Any suggestions would be apprectiated.

We had a similar problem with our daughter but a couple of nights bed with no dinner and she's fine - tried this too...

What time do you feed him dinner? We used to have troubles with our son when we fed him at 6.30pm. We moved dinner to be earlier around 5.45pm/6pm and he eats much better.

Perhaps you could mix vegetables with the food he likes? Like chop up vegetables, and mix them with some kind of sauce (disguises the healthy stuff smile
We've got a similar problem too, but also going through the problem that he suddenly won't sit in the highchair, won't stay at the table, so am just putting his food on a chair and he picks at it. We've ordered a little kids table and chairs so hoping that works!
What time are you doing dinner? I would be giving him an afternoon snack if I were you, seems a long time without food for a toddler. Even a drink of milk.
I also just give DS what we are having (unless we are having something spicy) and don't make special meals. He does always have access to the fruit bowl. No suggestions really, but maybe it is a stage where they are trying to assert their independence!

My Daughter is 22 months, and was doing the same thing. She was late at getter her teeth, and she is getting all her eye teeth at the moment. She always goes off her dinner when her teeth are pushing. Could it be teeth?

Also I have noticed if I give her dinner after 5.30 she get to cranky and doesn't eat it. So dinner is 5 to 5.30 with milk after bath time, the bed. Work for me know.
Hope this helps

What time do you feed him dinner? We used to have troubles with our son when we fed him at 6.30pm. We moved dinner to be earlier around 5.45pm/6pm and he eats much better.

We also had this problem and we did as above. DS used to play with his food and now eats 3/4 to all of his dinner. If dad isn't home, I sit down at 5.30/5.45pm and eat with DS.

We have afternoon tea at 3 / 3.30pm and I fill his water cup up for this. Then he gets nothing else and no water refil until he is a the table for dinner. His water cup stays on his little table, so for a bit of responsibility and to get him involved in dinner, he had to have his cup and be up the table before I put his plate down. He also had to ensure his cup is filled up (we fill it up, but he asks).

You didn't say if he was in a high chair or not, but we took DS out of his at 20mths which also made a difference for a while. Til the next phase anyway smile

I had been feeding him at about 5.30pm but moved to 6ish around Christmas which almost coincides with him not eating. I'll move it early again and see what happens. Maybe he gets too exhausted by 6pm.

Gosh wouldn't it be great if early dinner solves it smile

Okay I'm having same issues with my 21mth old. He eats breaky, lunch but come to dinner - nothing. I don't feed him after lunch - no snacks no bottles, no bottle before bed - he still won't eat. I often get a 5am wake up because he is hungry.

Lunch isn't huge either just a sandwich. He will eat yogurt, cheese etc but no meat or vegies. Have tried casseroles, cottage pie, pasta bakes, meatloaf, meat and separate veg etc

He will eat the yummy things though like ravioli (no sauce), chicken nuggets, hot chips and snack food.

Any suggestions would be apprectiated.

We had a similar problem with our daughter but a couple of nights bed with no dinner and she's fine - tried this too...

omg this is exactly my DD atm! almost as if I had written it!!
She almost always goes to bed with no dinner cos she just won't eat it! But yes, she will eat yoghurt/sandwiches/nuggets/some fruit, oh and sausages! But I am refusing to give her those things now, I dish up what we are having but she most often won't even touch it!!! So she goes to bed with no dinner, but I give her a small cup of milk just before bed so that (hopefully) she doesn't wake up hungry.

I have also cut out afternoon snacks, so I know she should be hungry at dinner time. Hoping this is a phase that will pass, but it's been months already and no improvement. Even things that were her "favourite" dinners she won't touch them when I serve them up sad Very frustrating.

My son is 22 months and the exact same way! I actually came to this board to make a post like this and you've wrote it almost word for word. My son is great at breakfast/lunch. He has toast and grapes for brekky, a yoghurt/piece of fruit and a sandwich or some nuggets/cocktail frankfurts for lunch and won't touch his dinner at all. He used to love pasta but won't even eat that now. He usually gets 1-2 wafer biscuits for snacks in between or a fruit bar/peice of fruit, but I've cut back on his snacks and still no luck.

I don't really have anything helpful to add, just that you're NOT alone! I hope it's just a phase these almost 2 yr olds seem to go through! It's very frustrating though. I hate feeling like I'm starving my child, but he just refuses dinner! sad
Sign in to follow this topic