Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappy Pants

Learn More
The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Toddler
  4. Feeding your Toddler
  5. Anyone make their own cheese? (My6Pk?)

Anyone make their own cheese? (My6Pk?) Lock Rss

I notices on Zinkles lunch box thread that My6Pk mentioned 'natural cheese can be bought from the fridge section or made yourself'
How do you make your own cheese?
I would love to make my own if anyone has any advice, tips or recipes smile

Hi there smile
I don't make full matured cheese or mozzarella yet, but I'd love to! It's not that hard when you know the basics. Green Living Australia have some great tips and also sell the cultures online.
I do make my own cottage cheese (when I get my hands on raw milk) and I also make labne from natural yogurt smile both are very simple to do smile

I am kitty wink

It costs a bit to set up. And you have to age it so need a seep rate fridge set to a lower temp to leave it in for months on end. And you would need the kitchen to be spotless etc so think it's a little more complicated to do...

Doublewammy might be able to help a little more...
My dh used to be a cheese maker. He has got the equipment now to make it at home but cheddar takes a lot of work. You need 2 large stock pots, one to fit inside to make like a double boiler, cheese press, hoops, starter culture, rennet etc and sanitise the kitchen. Dh got raw milk from a dairy farmer we know and pasturised it himself and the last time he made cheddar, quark, ricotta and butter. Cheddar is the most time comsuming, we have an old fridge running warm to mature it in. But it takes about a day for the actual process. QuArk and ricotta are much easier to make. Just ask if you have any more questions, dh gets his starter etc from cheese links

Lol. Thanks Doublewammy. Didn't want to dob you in there but my help was limited to what I knew from our discussions! Lol.
Supermummy wrote:
Lol. Thanks Doublewammy. Didn't want to dob you in there but my help was limited to what I knew from our discussions! Lol.

No worries there Hun smile

Lol. What were you doing online at that ungodly hour of the morning?!
Supermummy wrote:
Lol. What were you doing online at that ungodly hour of the morning?!

Lol I didn't think anyone would notice wink I was working on an essay, its due on Thursday morning .

Thanks guys smile
Hmmm, it does sound like a lot of work, I think I will put it in my 'one day' box!

No worries. It is a bit involved. I think labne (yoghurt cheese) is a bit easier, there were instructions with my easiyo how to do it I think

doublewammy wrote:
No worries. It is a bit involved. I think labne (yoghurt cheese) is a bit easier, there were instructions with my easiyo how to do it I think

ok thanks, I might have a look at that. We have been thinking of getting an easiyo, but I just can't decide if it isworth it, as the packs for greek yoghurt are about the same cost as it is to buy a kg of it.

Lol Doublewammy. I saw it when you posted (at like 3am my time which given we turned he clocks back recently I figured was pretty late your time!) but because I was at work I didn't manage to reply til a couple of hours later!

How's the essay going?!
Sign in to follow this topic