Huggies Forum

Switch to Nappy-Pants

for toilet training!

Learn more
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Toddler
  4. Feeding your Toddler
  5. Is Anyone letting their toddlers have peanut butter/honey on their Sandwiches?

Is Anyone letting their toddlers have peanut butter/honey on their Sandwiches? Rss

Hi,

I've always been told by my doctor and chn not to give peanut butter or honey to your child until they are 2 . Just seeing if anyone is giving it to their toddlers before the age of 2?

My friend thinks I'm nuts not too give it to Tahlia (almsot 15 monhts) What do you guys think?

Cheers, Angelique

My 2 Angels, Vanessa 10 & Tahlia 2

Hi Angelique,

I guess its just a case of making the best decision for you. My DD is only one and I haven't given her either of them. I haven't given the peanut butter because I have a couple of people in my family who are allergic and I figured there were plenty of other things to give her besides peanut butter. She will have it one day but I will wait until she is older. I haven't given her honey for the simple reason of how sweet it is and I worry that while she isn't overly fond of having her teeth brush that her teeth will be getting ruined by all the sugar.

I know some people do whatever and in days gone by they had no idea about all of these reactions and things but I just don't always understand what the rush is. I don't think Kaitlyn is any worse off for not having peanut butter and honey so I don't see the harm in waiting until the recommended age.

I hope this helps.

Kaz

Karen, NSW, 1 baby girl

Hi,

I have been giving my 19 mth old peanut butter s/w for a few months now. I havent given her pure honey yet though.

Kristi 5 kids. www.familynfriends.forumwise.com

My daugther has tried peanut butter and honey and she loves them both and she has them on toast or bread and also has jam or vegemite too.

Tracey,Jaye (girl)12/06/05, Sam (boy)10/07/09

yup i started around 14months with maybe giving it once a week on a sandwich or toast.

mumsgroup.tk -Kayden 31.1.05 & Tianah 25.8.06

I have given both to my son without any problems. I was always super cautious starting new foods, but he loves them both and had no adverse reactions.

Your not meant to give honey before 12 months due to the botulism spores that can live in honey. Which can be lethal for babies. As for peanut butter, I think they suggest to hold off giving it until kids are about 2 if there is a history of peanut allergies (if you want to risk it at all!) or if baby has known allergies/ecxema etc.

My son loves peanut butter and jam sandwiches and I give him a little honey mixed with porridge and fruit for a change.

Hope this helps

Ethan 22 months SA

I give peanut butter occasionally to my 1yr old... but will wait till he's a bit older for the honey....unless one of the grandparents do it when i'm not looking.

Sal, two mischief boys 4yrs & 16 mth's

my 18mth old loves peanut butter.. been having it on sandwiches for ages... Unless your toddler has shown a history of allergies there is nothing wrong with it.. like any other food.. you've got to vary it for the little darlings.

sunshine

Sign in to follow this topic