Huggies Forum

Switch to Nappy-Pants

for toilet training!

Learn more
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Toddler
  4. Feeding your Toddler
  5. Menu plan for 14 month old (Does this sound OK?)

Menu plan for 14 month old (Does this sound OK?) Rss

Hi, my daughter is 14 months old.

Anyway, this is what she eats in a typical day:

Breakfast: 1 - 1 1/2 weetbix with maybe a little canned fruit or sultanas.

Lunch: Peanut butter or spaghetti sandwhich. Maybe a little cheese, or rice crackers if she eats all her sandwhich.

Afternoon tea: Any leftovers after lunch, or custard. (sometimes she won't eat a whole sandwhich for lunch) or crackers, or dried fruit.

Dinner: Now this is where the fun begins. Lately she really likes cous cous, with bacon and vegies mixed in to it. Sometimes I offer her the same thing we eat, and if she doesn't eat it (this is a regular thing now) I just give her a tin of commercial stuff (which I don't always like to do, but she's gotta eat)

She also has 3 breast feeds a day.
Every parent feeds their children different things and I can't remember what Brooke (15-months-old) has everyday because it changes alot you know different fruits and vegies etc. But this is what she ate today...

Breakfast, 8am- 2 1/2 weetbix with milk.

she didn't want a snack today but then again between brekky and lunch she usually doesn't she prefers a nap.

Lunch, ranges from 12-3pm-Rockmelon, Watermelon, Avacado.

Snack, ranges from 3-5pm- half an apple and half a banana (she didn't want the rest of the apple when she spotted the bananas smile

Tea- Stew (I throw in a variety of vegies)

With tea she usually eats what we eat but if we eat take out or something I still cook her meal up smile I don't use the canned foods much at all for tea and limit the custards. I prefer to cook her food myself as I'm the sort of person that If I don't see it get made then I feel a bit funny. I do find though if I want her to have something quick and easy then I just chop up a carrot and boil it along with other vegies out of the freezer and she'll just eat vegies for tea because usually when I cook I don't combine anything so everything has it's own taste and she knows that and enjoys her vegies greatly smile

We are also not big meat people we don't really like the taste of meat other than chicken so I'll cook stews and cassaroles etc. with minced beef or steak so we get all of our nutrients but alot of poeple think you need meat on your plate every night and this is in fact not true if you eat a good variety of foods.

She also has her milk and water throughout the day but she doesn't have juice or anything like that just milk and water. smile
Her menu sounds great. I wish my two would eat like that. I have a 17 month old and a 3 year old and they are both really fussy eaters. The only things they'll eat without fail are cheese, yoghurt and most fresh fruits. They won't even touch vegies at the moment. So as long as your daughter will eat fruit & veg give her as much as she wants smile
Hi Neens1

Her diet sounds fine and I wouldn't worry too much about giving her commercial tin food, it isn't as bad as people make out.

My DD is one and her menu is pretty similar.

7:00ish - breakfast, 1 weetbix with 75ml cows milk plus 200ml 1/2 cows and 1/2 toddler formula.

9:00ish - prune juice

11:00ish - yoghurt and mandarine or pears or apple. 200ml 1/2 cows and 1/2 toddler formula.

11:30ish - bed until 2:30ish.

2:30ish - lunch, 1/2 sandwich with one of a variety of different fillings she will eat. Any left over milk from before bed and some more fruit.

5:30ish - dinner, whatever we are having or if it isn't appropriate (ie. pizza), we give her tin food.
100ml 1/2 cows and 1/2 toddler formula.

I just wanted to say well done on still breast feeding. That is just awesome. Besides all the other good stuff you are giving her that is the ultimate.

Kaz smile

Karen, NSW, 1 baby girl

This is my Dd general menu for the day:

Breakfast 7.30am - either 1/4cup oats or 1.5 weetbid mixed with 100mls milk. Slice of toast with vegemite or jam. 250mls in in her cup.

Snack 10am - Heinz muesli bar or slice of cheese and some mini ritz and water in a cup.

Lunch 11.15am - Sandwich with either vegemite,cheese,egg,jam at this stage. 120g yoghurt. Water in her cup.

Sleep 2-3hrs

Snack 3pm - Heinz fruit stick or cheesymite stick,saltanas. Water in a cup

Dinner 5/5.30pm - Whatever we have about 1/4-1/2cup. Fruit or custard for dessert. 200mls milk in her cup.

Bath,rest of milk if any,brush teeth,story bed.

HTH.

2 Perfect Girls Catherine7/8/05 & Mirelle17/10/07

Your menu sounds fine. I also have a 14mth girl who from day to day will sometimes be fussy. I read recently that when toddlers don't feel 100% they may not want to eat or may want only to eat the simple foods that they had as a baby. At the moment Sophie has a sore throat and will only eat museli and rice cereal with tinned apple puree.
Her normal diet though is:

Breakfast: Cereal and toast with Jam.
water
Snack: Yoghurt and fruit

Lunch: Sandwich or cous cous with veges
apple custard
fruit
water

Snack: Yoghurt and museli bar or cheese

Dinner: Chicken/veges with rice, pasta or
cous cous and grated cheese
Custard and fruit
water
I try to include a fair amont of dairy products as she will only have milk in her cereal. She will not drink formula or milk.
Good luck each day always brings a new challenge!

Carolyn, QLD, 2yr old toddler

my daughter has 3 weetbix and a slice of toast and a ribena

lunch- two slices of bread with either peanut butter, vegemite or nutella, yogurt and half a glass of milo and milk

snacks include rice crackers, rice cakes, nutrigrain , apricot bites.

dinner- mash veges, rice or noodles.

philippa mum of Charley chicken

Sign in to follow this topic