Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappy Pants

Learn More
The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Toddler
  4. Feeding your Toddler
  5. HELP-How often should a 16 month old eat?

HELP-How often should a 16 month old eat? Lock Rss

hi there i have a problem.i have a 16 month old girl and it seams like she eats all the time.For example she wakes at 9 has 2 pieces of toast,then wants more food.Then 30 min later i give her a bottle,then she sleeps.when she wakes she wants something to eat like a biscut.Then at about 1.30 i give her her a big lunch.Then about a hour later she wants something else,this happends a few times in the afternoon.Then she has dinner at 5.30 (not that she eats alot),then a bottle 30 min later.Sometimes she wakes a bit later wanting more food.
I surpose you could say she is snacking all the time.So what is good times for her to eat and how often between snacking?Please help.

KIMBA,VIC,BABYS ALEAH 22/12/03, REANNON 06/10/05.

Some toddlers eat all of the time and it is quite normal for some to only eat one decent meal every 2-3days. Doesn't sound like you have this problem! At 16months my toddler would eat a big breakfast, morning tea, lunch, afternoon tea and then have a 3 course dinner. And he was happy and healthy. The clinic nurse told me once that you should simply make eveything that he eats count. If she's snacking all of the time its OK as long as they are healthy foods. Cheese is one of the best things I have found for snacks. Bananas are probably good also but they are the ONE food that our son has never liked!

Hope thid helps some.
hey!! well my son seems to be eating constantly (he is always asking for food)!! he wakes up and has a bottle then breakfast (either a bowl of cereal or a few pieces of toast as well as a piece of fruit), then a bit later he will have a snack! then after his nap he has lunch then a bit later another snack. another bottle between 4&5 then dinner then dessert/snack then another bottle before bed!! he is ot 'fat' and he is growing well and steadily!! i wouldn't worry if your child has a big appetite (better than not wanting to eat at all)!!

eìí? well ... it started with a kiss eìí?-3-064

My daughter eats heaps too, although getting her to eat an actual meal can be hard. As stated before, as long as its healty food that your child is eating then its all good.
I don't think this sounds excessive. Remember they only have small tummies and need to eat more frequently than us. I have just started my daughter on sultanas which she loves. She also loves fresh grapes which is lucky because we live on a vineyard. I also find the ritz bran crackers are good, not too hard and higher fibre than other plain biscuits.
My son would have

milk
breakfast (cereal & toast)

morning tea (sliced apple/ sultanas/ fruit bar ~ some days one, others all three)

Lunch (about 6 tablespoon yogurt & maybe a salada/crusket with vegemite/peanut butter)

Milk

Afternoon tea (biscuit/ grapes/ vegemite & butter on half a weetbix)

Dinner (meat & veg, or whatever we'd be having)

Milk

He's been the same for the last 8-10 months and is now 22 months old.

It does seem like a lot, but there's no way i could force him to eat if he isn't hungry. I just try to make sure that most of his food is healthy and prepared at home.

Dette, DS 06.03, DS 10.04, DD 03.06 & Due Sept 07!

hi all thankx to everyone who answered my plee.You guys have realy helped.i was getting worried that she was going to go fat.
Also you might be able to answer this also for me.What is a good time for dinner and bed?i give her her dinner at 5.30 and bed at 7.30,is that the same with everyone else?

well my son usually goes to bed bout an hour and a half to two hours after dinner!! so we're bout the same cept he goes to bed b/w 8 and 8:30 he isn't tired b4 then. He tells us when he wants to go to bed so we don't usually bother trying to get him to go any earlier ... it isn't worth it!!

hi there i just noticed that your boy is a month older than my girl.Does your son get up early,if he does thats a long day for you.I put aleah to bed straight after home and away.She usto play up when we would put her to bed but a few months ago all of a sudden she changed,thank god.Your right its not worth it trying to put them to bed if they dont want to,sometimes it took me 3 hours to get her to sleep.not nice.Now she is pretty good,only when shes sick she plays up.I just wasnt sure if i was putting her to bed to late or not.
Where abouts in vic are you?We are in nunawading.

i am in hampton park. well the earliest he wakes up is 7ish but he usually sleeps at least 11-12hours!! He has a nap during the day still ... it used to be 2-3 hours but now its anywhere from half an hour to two hours!!

wow 7 you must be tired.Aleah wakes at 9.15,its weard its always 9.15.She usto only sleep for 45 min lots during the day and only at home she would sleep and that was hard.In the past few weeks she has been sleeping for 2 hours in the day and thats much better.Im glad she has sawted her sleeps out now because i have a nother little one coming in october.Its funny everthing i have gone through in the past 16 months im going to do again.

Hi

My boys have dinner at 6pm everynight. God help us if we're late and not doing anything exciting! We can go out for dinner and eat anytime, but if we're at home, Xander's internal bodyclock obviously screams 'it's time for food!'

We then watch Neighbours (it's so cute when my 22 month old does his impersonation of Harold, and then says 'Bye Harrowd' at the end) and bath time is at 7pm. By the time they're out and dressed, it's 7:30 and straight to bed after kisses and cuddles all round.

Most of the time he goes straight to sleep, sometimes he talks to himself for a while, but he is never a hassle at night. He wakes anywhere between 6 and 8. My 6 month old is nearly as good, sometimes waking at 5 for his feed.

Dette, DS 06.03, DS 10.04, DD 03.06 & Due Sept 07!

Sign in to follow this topic