Huggies Forum

Switch to Nappy-Pants

for toilet training!

Learn more

Bottle to Cup Lock Rss

I would love any ideas how to go from bottle to cup.
My DS has his water from a sippy cup and supervised adult cup but am wondering how to go from having his Milk from a bottle to cup.
Thanks.

Hi Meta,

I'm now trying to take my son off the bottle and onto a cup. He has any other drink out of a cup, but his milk HAS to be in a bottle. My plunket nurse told me to try and have a cup that is only for milk. No other liquid is allowed to be in it. So we bought him a 'fun' cup with a cool straw, and he seems to enjoy drinking his milk out of that. we also put in a little flavouring like Milo or Nesquick and he really loves that. This works really well during the day, but nighttime is still bottle, so we'll see what happens about that! Anyway, hope this helps and happy weaning!

Rebecca, NZ, Boy born 30/10/03

Hi,

My son went from bottle to cup just after his 1st birthday. From about 9 months he would drink from a cup during the day but still have his morning and night bottle. Then i just started giving him his milk in his cup and he really didn't mind at all. I packed away all of his bottles and he would only drink out of his cup. I am very lucky i didn't have any probs weaning.

My advice is not to stress about anything they will do everything when they are ready.

Larnie

Mummy to Joshie 15/07/03 & Hannah Lily 26/02/06

Larnie,

My daughter has also drank from a cup since 12mths and she does every now and then too and again just like you, only has a morning and night bottle. I notice all her teats are now getting holes in them as she has all her teeth aprt from 2 molars. I cant keep buying teats as i know shes big enough now to move forward. But how do i wean her from morning and night bottle to none at all apart from a cup only during the day. Appreciate any ideas? Thanks

kari

HI kari,

I would just give her milk in a cup at night and see how she goes, that's what i did with my son. I found the hardest to wean was the morning bottle because my son would drink his bottle and go back to sleep, but when i weaned him he would drink his milk from his cup and wouldn't go back to sleep. The night milk was easy because i just gave him his cup of milk with dinner.
Also when he would drink from his cup we would make a fuss and start clapping our hands and saying how good he was, he just thought this was great and would keep on doing it.

I don't know if this helps at all. But just try and see how she goes you might find she will like drinking out of her cup.

Larnie

Hi again Larnie,

Thanks for replying so quickly. I will try your suggestion and see how it goes and let you know with the verdict. My only query now is "did your son fall asleep easy when you weaned him from bottle to cup, as chloe falls asleep with her bottle and then is put straight to bed. I guess thats when story time starts hey?Also did you try it one day and then back to bottle and then try it for two days and back to bottle etc

Love the help.

kari

Hi kari,

I would give my son his drink of milk right before he went to bed. We got into a routine where he had dinner, bath, milk and then bed. And we had been doing this since he was tiny so he was just used to it. He slept fine when drinking from his cup because he still had the full tummy of milk that he loved. He knows now that when he has his cup of milk at night that he will be going to bed pretty much straight after, so he will put his dummy in his mouth and hold onto his blankie until i put him in bed.

I just put him straight from the bottle to cup i didn't alternate days or anything, i didn't want to confuse him. After the first night and morning of him drinking from his cup i packed away all of his bottles and teats and he hasn't used them since=)

he did find one of his bottles the other day and all he did was chewed on the teat=)

Hope this helps

Larnie

Sign in to follow this topic