Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappy Pants

Learn More
The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Toddler
  4. Feeding your Toddler
  5. PEANUT BUTTER is it ok for under 3s

PEANUT BUTTER is it ok for under 3s Lock Rss

Hi everyone.
I am just wanting to know your thoughts on this,my daughter is 2 1/2 and i am thinking of trying peanut butter in sandwitches for her,she suffers from eczema so im worried it will make it worse or she will have a reaction to it. All my friends give there children it & have had no problems.Ive heard its only bad to give them whole nuts because its a chocking hazard. Has anyones child had a reaction & is there anyone that knows alot about this????
Thanks
Nique

ME25, DF28, DD 4, DS18 months

Hi, my son (19mths) suffers from eczema and has peanut butter on his toast. I was wary of this but found that my husband had been giving him small bites of his toast. He has had no reaction, but only has the smooth peanut butter. It is personal choice really. I would suggest trying a very small amount and testing for a reaction, before giving a whole sandwhich.

I've read that it's best to avoid peanuts until at least 4 years. This is because if there is a severe allergic reaction to it, it is easier to treat an older child. This is especially true if there is a history of allergy in the family. As with anything, if you ask 10 people the same question, you are most likely to get 10 different answers. Good luck.

Twins' Mum, VIC, E & A born 4/04

I took my son to a dietician when he was about 14 months, and the dietician told me that peanut butter was fine from 12 months onwards, as long as it is smooth peanut butter. As we did not have any allergies in the family, we decided to give it a try, and he loves it on his sandwiches. We didn't have any problems with it. If you are concerned, ask your doctor if it would affect your daughter's eczema.

SA, 2 boys

If your daughter is prone to allergies (ie. eczema is an allergy related condition) then try smooth peanut butter in small amounts and watch carefully for a reaction. If there is no history of food allergies in your family then chances are there will be no problem but a small amount will let you know. If your daughter will react at all then a small amount will be enough to get that reaction. Most children don't have trouble with smooth peanut butter at 2 1/2 and even earlier. Whole nuts are definitely a choking hazard and those and even crunchy peanut butter should be avoided until at least 5 years and nowadays perhaps even 7 years.

Rhonda, Vic

MY 20MTH OLD DAUGHTER HAS BEEN HAVING IT SINCE SHE WAS 12MTHS OLD. I TRIED IT ONCE,NOTHING HAPPENED SO I KEPT GIVING IT TO HER.

Jacks Mum.

Sign in to follow this topic