Huggies Forum

Switch to Nappy-Pants

for toilet training!

Learn more

Scared 3 year old Lock Rss

A few days ago my 3 year old was at the shops with my mum. A girl in a red top reached into my mothers handbag and stole her purse. Mum called out for help and people chased the "girl in red" and, after a few dramas, mum got her purse back. The problem is now my girl is scared of anyone wearing red. She even sat down to watch a Hi-5 DVD today, which she has seen thousands of times before, and Tim was wearing red. She got scared and didn't want to watch anymore.
My daughter is very aware of what goes on around her and her vocabalary and comprehension is very advanced. I've tried sitting down with her and explaining the situation to her. I've even tried wearing red, but she is reluctant to come to me.
Any suggestions on how to get over this issue???

Bindi, WA, mum of two

Your daughters situation is a little different but my 4 yr old son seems to be scared of everything these days. The only thing that I can do to make him feel better is to show him the positives and let it go (not dwell on it so much).

When he was scared of shadows, I just showed him that everything has shadows, I did, his favorite toy did, the dog had one, then left him with that. He now shows me every shadow he can find but not in a scared way.

Maybe you can show things to your daughter with out mentioning that they are red, like flowers and just say it's beautiful, and strawberrys are yummy, use red pencils to draw and say it's bright, hopefully she will stop associating the colour with the incident that frightened her.

I hope she is feeling better soon and best of luck.

Jo, Sydney mama of 2 boys

Sign in to follow this topic