for toilet training!

Learn more
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Toddler
  4. Caring for your Toddler
  5. stay at home mum or childcare?

stay at home mum or childcare? Lock Rss

i am currantly studing to be a nurse but have an 18 month oul daughter. i would like to hear what others think about wheather we as mothers should be staying at home raising our children or should we be putting our children into childcare and getting out there working. what do you all think?What is your situation? Work or stay at home with your children?

sunshine, geraldton,serenity born 17/3/04

I work 3 days a week and for myself this works out to be a good combination. I have the working stimulation that I want and my 2 boys get their social interaction and learning devolpment with other children at childcare.
I hope your situation will not revolve around what other people think as this is entirely an individual decision and it's 'what works for you at the time.'
We go from being our own person to being someone's MUM but that doesn't mean we can't have abit of our own person anymore.
Hi there,
I agree with the previous mum. It is what you feel comfortable doing. My 20 mth old son has been in care since he was 13 mths old. It gives me a break and also the social interaction that comes with work. But on the down side my son got EVERY single virus going around the creche. They say that it is good for the immune system but to see them sick and miserable is so heart-breaking and it just does not let up. Every 2 to 3 weeks without fail he will be unwell with a cold or cough or runny nappies, vomiting etc. So what I am trying to say is that the child will also spend a lot of time out of care so you have to be prepared to also have many of your plans to be changed as well.
If I could go back in time and knowing what I know now I would have probably left care until he was a bit older and at the very least only have let him in for a max of 2 days per week (he now has 4 days)

Mum to Aidan 20 Jan 04 and Georgia 10 Nov 05

Hi

I am a stay at home mum and will be until all our children are in primary school. We don't have a lot of money with only the one wage but we have our own house with manageable repayments and we can still get by. We go without luxury items and other wants but I don't mind as I have always wanted to be a stay at home mum. I don't miss the workforce as I get to interact with other adults on weekends. My toddler has contact with other children through the week and on weekends when we visit people and do other things.

I agree with the other mums that it is a decision only you can make to suit yourselves and the situation you are in at the time.

Kristi

4 lovely munchkins DD 10/03, DD 03/05, DS 10/06 &

As I am the bread winner of our family I went back to work after having 7 1/2 fantastic months at home with our daughter. My husband was more than happy to work part time and stay home and look after our daughter the remainder of the time. He has a fantastic relationship with our daughter and think she will appreciate that later in life.

I am very lucky that my job does give me flexibility of hours and time off, so I think she gets the best of both worlds. We plan to send her to day care one or two days a week next year for the social interaction.

Every family is different and you need to find out what works best for you. : )

Sonia,NSW,12mth old

i to am studying to be a nurse i guess i have the best of both worlds i work from 1am to 7 am and get home in the morning not long after my kids get out of bed i am then home with them all day it is the only affordable option for us as it would cost over $200 a week to have my kids in day care and it is near impossiable to get a spot in a centre any way. I am lucky that i have a supportive partner who is willing to look after the kids at night and in the morning while i work.
I do get some sleep about 4 hours at night and 2 hours in the day while my kids are sleeping.
how far into your studies are you?
I think I have the best of both worlds. I am a SAHM but I also run a bookkeeping business from home. I have been doing this for over 2 years and I only work when my kids are asleep. So the most I can work is 2 hours a day because that's all my DD sleeps now. Some days she only has a rest and I can't leave her to rest for any more than one hour so I only get one hour of work done. Luckily I only have 4 deadlines a year when the quarterly BAS is due.

When I was pregnant with my DD we knew we wanted me to stay at home and not put our kids into childcare but I still wanted to do something to keep my brain active. I had some bookkeeping experience and a very supportive husband. Without him I would not have had the courage to start up my own business.

I plan to continue working for myself and when my baby goes to school I will increase the number of customers I have. This will still allow me to spend time at school helping (tuckshop, etc) and be home with my kids when they get home from school.

HI THERE, MY DAUGHTER IS 20MTHS OLD AND I WENT BACK TO WORK 3WKS AGO. I LOVED STAYING AT HOME WITH HER BUT I NEEDED TO GO BACK TO WORK FOR THE MONEY. SHE GOES TO CHILDCARE MON-FRI FROM 8AM-2PM.SHE LOVES GOING NOW BUT THERE WERE A FEW TEARS AT FIRST WHICH IS HEARTBREAKING. IF I DIDN'T NEED TO GO TO WORK I WOULDN'T. ON THE OTHER HAND SOME WOMEN ARE BETTER OFF WORKING LIKE I DID WHEN I HAD MY FIRST CHILD, I COULDN'T STAND STAYING AT HOME ALL THE TIME.( THAT WAS 10YRS AGO)

Jacks Mum.

Sign in to follow this topic