Huggies Forum

Switch to Nappy-Pants

for toilet training!

Learn more

Biting while breastfeeding Rss

My 11 month old bit me for the first time yesterday and has done it everytime since. Has anyone got any ideas to try and discourage him from doing it?????????

Natalie

My daughter started biting while breast feeding at about 7 months. It always hurt and suprised me so of course I would jump and scream but over time I realised that the more I reacted the more she did it. I would just ignore her and she started to slow down, only doing it occasionally. At 13 months she hadnt had a breast feed in 3 days and she asked for it so of course me being a big softy (and really missing feeding) I put her to the breast and she bit so long and hard I had to pry her jaw apart... needless to say she will never have her little teeth near my boobs again!!! I was also reccomended to take her off the boob when she bit and not offer it until later but as I never had much milk I was always anxious for her to feed so I never tried this. Also told to say a very stern 'no' but this just made Maya laugh and bite more... Hope I've helped.

DD#1- 2004, DD#2 -2006, DD#3 -23/10/08.

Hi there,
My little girl didn't have any teeth until 13 months, so I managed to get through a fair bit with no major dramas.
She's now 16 months, and yesterday bit BOTH of my nipples when I tried to get her off. She uses it as a way to keep feeding, and I now have 2 raw little teeth HOLES in my nipples, ouch!
I think the idea of taking him off when he bites and not letting him finish the feed is a good one, provided you can get him off without taking the nipple with him!
Other than that I don't really have any ideas. I also found that yelling out only makes her bite harder.
Hopefully it will pass if you can keep in there.
Good luck! smile

Laura 21, QLD, daughter Tahn, 22.07.04

Sign in to follow this topic