Huggies Forum

Switch to Nappy-Pants

for toilet training!

Learn more
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Toddler
  4. Caring for your Toddler
  5. HELP! Daughter hates brushing teeth!!!

HELP! Daughter hates brushing teeth!!! Rss

My 2 year old daughter hates it when I have to clean her teeth for her she screams clamps her mouth shut and wont let me do it. she will happily hold the toothbrush for a while chew on it and suck the toothpaste off it but wont let me clean them properly for her I can understand it wouldnt be nice but does anyone have any hints or advice?I'm afraid if I don't find something that works her teeth will rot!

Mel,QLD, 3yr old Nikita, no. 2 due october

Hi there, I'm in the same boat, although my daughter is only going on 16 months, she puts the brush in her mouth and has a chew on it for a couple of seconds, but that is the extent of her teeth brushing, she won't let us do it for her and I've tried using a flannel to at least give her teeth a wipe, when I say to brush your teeth, she usually just shakes her head for no and clamps her mouth shut, it is amazing how strong it is when her mouth is clamped shut, I've even tried her cleaning my teeth and me hers etc and with her watching me clean mine, but to no avail. So I also would appreciate any advice on this topic.

Mel, SA

not sure if she is too young but how about a battery opreated toothbrush i am giving one to my son 4 his birthday tomorrow but he will be 4

mum of 3 boys aged 11, 13 and 14

Hi

My son is nearly 3 and we have found an electric toothbrush the best invention around, it is an electric one in the shape of a racing car! We were having all sorts of problems with brushing teeth before April, it would take me and Hubby to brush his teeth every night and morning. The electric toothbrush was an idea from my mother, and at the time thought it wouldn't work, but as soon as he saw it he opened his mouth wide and let us brush his teeth without a struggle and with only one person. So now, I can happily brush his teeth morning and night and have no hassles at all! Though I would be careful, I am guessing the noise may frighten some toddlers, I was just lucky that he loved the sound of it, and maybe the feel of it on his tongue!

Heather
Maya loves having the toothbrush in her mouth, but only when she's doing it herself. Imostly just let her get on with it, even tho she doesn't brush them properly yet, the toothpaste and toothbrush are at least getting in her mouth. I figure encouraging teeth brushing as a positive thing is an important start and we can work on the right technique later on when she's more open to it. I'd rather she gave them a 'sort of' brush herself, than have a battle with her over it.

Mum to Maya Grace 02-03, Sienna & Mercedes 10-06

Hi,

Not sure if I can be much help but I have a 17 month old daughter who is exactly the same. She loves to chew on the tooth brush and suck off the small amount of toothpaste I put on...

What I do is give my daughter her toothbrush to use when she is in the bath, then when I am washing her with the face washer I quickly give her teeth a wipe over, with a small amount of struggle, but at least I know that she has had them wiped over.

We do attempt to brush her teeth twice a day, but at this stage as long as her teeth get a good wipe over before bed I am happy.

I think the more we struggle with our little ones, the more determined they are to clamp their mouths shut...

I don't think your daughter's teeth will rot. Maybe if she is old enough to understand you could start up a sticker chart or something and everytime she brushes properly or lets you brush for her she gets a sticker??? Just an idea...

Goodluck and I hope it gets easier for you soon.

Michelle
Thanx for everyones replys, its good to know im not the only one who has this struggle!Thanx for the sticker idea Michelle I will try that because Kita loves stickers! I will try to wipe them over in the bath too. I wasnt sure about the moterised toothbrushes i might try them a bit down the track if we still having trouble Thanx guys

Mel,QLD, 3yr old Nikita, no. 2 due october

Hi Mel,

... Happy to help. Let me know if the sticker idea works as my daughter is still abit young for this type of thing.

Michelle smile

Hiya everyone,

Well let me at least say that persistance pays off. My daughter now calls out teeth, dolly, cup, when she is ready for bed.

Most nights she has some kind of arguing about teeth time, but considering she has done it for 2 years now, there is no excuses.

Best of luck,

Tepe

DD5, DS3, DS lost to SIDS at 6mths & DD6m

Does your daughter have a dolly too Tepe? Maya has 'dolly' who she won't sleep without. I wash dolly at least once a week but she never seems to get clean. Funny Maya,as soon as she sees her dolly she sticks her tongue out and kind of sucks, as that's what she does with dolly! It's great tho, coz dolly is a good sleep cue - she knows dolly means sleep!

Mum to Maya Grace 02-03, Sienna & Mercedes 10-06

Sign in to follow this topic