Learn more
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Toddler
  4. Caring for your Toddler
  5. tantrums - when will they stop.

tantrums - when will they stop. Rss

Hi,
my son is just going on 2 years old and he has some dramatic tantrums - mostly due to not being allowed to have something or go outside when he wants to. I wanted to hear from other parents about how they deal with them & at what age they generally grow out of them.

Gayle.
hi there,

at this age it is pretty hard to deal with tantrums cos they just are not old enough to understand consequences. but i suppose the best way to try and deal with a child having tantrums is to:-

1. give no reaction-its generally an attention seeking thing anyway.
2. remove them from the situation- put them in their bedroom- "time out"
3. do not give in- if they see this happen tantrums will occur more and more frequently.

the year they are two, in most cases is the worst year for tantrums. they seem to lessen once they pass three- when u can do the ppp and this works a charm!
i recommend the postive parenting course to anyone with children aged 3 to 5. i have just completed it myself and found 9 times out of 10 it works beautifully.

hope i have been of some help to you.

Kristi 5 kids. www.familynfriends.forumwise.com

I have a 2 yr old too and her tantrums are bad sometimes. alot of the time she will bang her head on the floor or just throw herself to the ground not caring what she will bang into so i tell her no or what ever and if she starts to through a tantrum i will pick her up (not cuddeling) and put her on her bed and walk out she has a bed rail so she wont fall out nomatter how she thrashes herself around and i have the relief she wont hurt herself to bad and we wait until she has calmed down or she comes out to give us a cuddle, then i tell her its not nice to be like that and 99% of the time she has forgotten all about what it was all about in the first place. As for dealing with tantums in public well I dont have answers for that one as we have alot of trouble dealing with that so if anyone else has any advice on that id love to hear it!

Mel,QLD, 3yr old Nikita, no. 2 due october

Sign in to follow this topic