Be comfortable in your skin – this is a judgement free zone. Find out more!

Huggies Forum

Switch to Nappy-Pants

for toilet training!

Learn more

Sensitive Three Year Old Rss

Hi Everyone,

My oldest son is nearly 3 and he is really sensitive when playing with other kids. He tends to cry a lot and the kids tend to work out that he is easy prey. I don't want my son to be one of those kids that goes around hitting etc. but he needs to stand up for himself too. I don't really know where to start. At home he is fine, and loves to play rough with his dad, but get him with other kids and it usually ends in tears (his!). Any ideas? Don't get me wrong, I love him to death, my beautiful sensitive lad but I worry that if he doesn't toughen up a bit, he will find school to be miserable. It has only been the last couple of months that he has been like this so I don't know if it is just a stage, or reaction to his new baby brother or whether this is his personality starting to emerge.

Let me know what you think.

Yvette
Hi Yvette,

I understand where you are coming from, and i am sure i would feel the same.

Although i don't have any answers, your son is still learning his social skills, so there is still plenty of time for him to gain some confidence.

Is he in preschool or daycare??? That may help!

Take care,

Tepe

DD5, DS3, DS lost to SIDS at 6mths & DD6m

Hi Tepe,

Thanks for your reply. Yes he is in day care 1 day a week. He was in for 3 days but now I'm on maternity leave he has dropped down to 1. He is fine with the kids at day care, it just seems to be the kids at playgroup (they are the same kids as from mothers group). He hasn't played with them regularly for about 18 months and now that he is seeing them each week he finds it hard to adjust and fit in. At the moment I'm taking each week as it comes. We had a two week break so I'm hoping it did him some good. Will need to keep an eye on it though.

Thanks.

Yvette
Sign in to follow this topic