Huggies Forum

Switch to Nappy-Pants

for toilet training!

Learn more

Hair clips ... ?? Rss

Hi guys, this sounds like such a small probelm .. but still very annoying. Does anyone have any tips on how to keep my 2yr old daughter from pulling her hair clips out?? No sooner have I put them it, she's pulled them out. Her hair is quite long and curly and just at that stage where it hangs in her eyes without clips etc.

Anyone .... ??

Thanks,
JaidasMum24

Jaida (6), Ameli (2) & Lacey (2mths) - SA

Hi JaidasMum24

My little girl is 2 also, with curl medium length hair. She also pulls out her clips unless she wants them in. Lately she has taken to wanting hair bands in, this may help if your little girl will sit long enough for you to put them in.

Rachel, TAS (Paige 21/6/02)

I used those tiny little rubber band type hair ties that don't snag the hair (apparently!). They are pretty good, actually, and the child really can't get a hold of them to pull them out. I even have trouble getting them out sometimes - don't try to take them out of wet hair! What about a stretchy headband instead? She probably will try to take that off though, too. It really is one of those wait and see issues where she'll eventually want to put pretty things in her hair. Mind you, she may not, too! Can you cut her a fringe?

Domestic Goddess Mum of Four!

I can sympathise! I just want her to look 'pretty' when we go out. The hair clip thing is very dependable on her mood - sometimes they stay nad other stimes they don't - if I put one in my hair as well and say 'ooh - pretty!' she tn\ends to let it stay in for a while.

The little plastic hair bands are fantastic - someone else mentioned them. I also tie a ribbon around them and htey stay in all day long.
I know what it feels like too! My daughter 2.5yrs also pulls out her "pretties" depending on her mood. If she is gumpy or wingy i don't even bother putting them in. We always make a big deal though when she does leave them in saying pretty and georgeous and take her to the mirror to look at them. Another idea is to get clips or hair bands with the little plastic animals etc but get something she really likes. my friends daughter loves the wiggles so she has bought wiggles hair things so she loves having them in. I also offer my daughter a sticker or a stamp if she sits still and leaves her pretties in!! (Bribery always works!!!) Hope these ideas help!

Mel,QLD, 3yr old Nikita, no. 2 due october

Hi Jaidas Mum

Have you tried putting the hair clips in while standing in front of the mirror. Your daughter will be able to see what you are putting in her hair and may stop pulling it out. I did this when my son wouldn't keep his hat on, after he saw what was on his head in the mirror he stopped pulling it off. Hope this works for you.

qld,3yr old boy

Hi all.

I have a 15 month old, and i started with the pigtails/hair clips around 10 months but soon gave up pretty quickly, i couldnt get her to keep them in so i gave up and just keep her fringe trimmed. Her hair is medium length but with ringlets at the botton so it looks shorter than it actually is.

Because i tried to persist she now wont even let dry her hair after a shower for fear im going to put a band/clip in, and i stopped doing it about 3 months ago.

I was told that you have to start them at 6 months to get some success :s

Sharon, 24, Qld, 2 boys 3 & 5, girl 1.

There is no way my daughter will wear her hair up in clips or bands or anything. We make a lot of fuss about how pretty she looks etc, but it takes her about 5 secs before she takes them out. I've tried all types and can't get her to keep them in her hair. She has gorgeous shoulder length straight hair that would look so pretty tied up! I tried to put it up when she was younger, but the clips always fell out!
Have you tried hairspray? I know it sounds funny but it worked for me. So that you don't get it in their eyes wet your hand first then spray your hand. All you do then is wipe your hand on their hair to hold it back.

After brianna got used to that, it only took a few days, i took her shopping to pick her own clips and she's used them since no problems!

~ Family complete in 2012 ~

I found a helpful blog on this - they have some beautiful clips & headbands too wink https://www.prettylittleclippies.com.au/blogs/n...
https://www.prettylittleclippies.com.au had a great blog post on this - it really helped me!! Here's the link - https://www.prettylittleclippies.com.au/blogs/n...

But I did notice over the years that they go through phases - so one minute they were loving wearing them, the next minute they refused to wear them at all!! So you have to ride the waves and don't get discouraged. They might pull them out one month and then a month later they are happy to wear them again. It's just about patience and not forcing them when they're just not into it. Hope that helps! xx
Sign in to follow this topic