Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappy Pants

Learn More
The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.

Mummy Guilt Lock Rss

Hi,

I have a 23 month old son, and over the last year or so I have had recurring problems with the dreaded Mummy Guilt. If I am playing blocks with my son, I am bored after 10 minutes (and who over the age of 5 can comfortably sit on a wooden floor for longer than this?!). If he plays with them while I sit next to him and read (and yes, I do chat to him constantly and always seem to know when he is trying to show me something, so I react to him as well), then I feel guilty. So either way I am not enjoying myself, which I know is silly, but I seem to be of the impression that all the other mums out there are happily playing lego all morning without taking a break!

We do things like read all the time, he chats to me heaps, is good at letting me know the instant he is bored, we go to the park, dance together with the wiggles, and he goes to a great daycare centre where they do heaps of fun kids games as a group, so all the signs show he is a happy boy getting enough attention, but it seems I still feel guilty all the time! My husband will watch tv with him for ages and not feel bad, so it must be a mum thing! What do you guys do with your kids - are you always doing "their stuff", or do you sit with them and occasionally join in with their games, but also do your own thing? Am I being unrealistic, or do parents really spend all day doing baby stuff?

Mia
i play with my kids through out the day but im not constantly playing with them if they want me they soon let me know. i dont think you should feel bad at all they need you around but they dont need you to entertain them all the time im sure he doesnt mind if you sit and read beside him i do exactly the same thing i think the kids are just happy to know that were there.

Lee. Mum of William 1/1/04 & Lily 10/8/05

Hi Mia
Isn't Mummy guilt the craziest thing?! We all feel it, and I do exactly the same things as you - play with DD at times, but also do my own thing - we need to for our own sanity, especially if not working outside the home! I think your son sounds like a happy, well adjusted little guy. I think it's important that kids can amuse themselves at times, because otherwise when they start daycare/kindy etc they don't have someone at their beck & call every second, and imagine how confusing that must be for them.
Sounds to me like you're doing a great job, so please try not to feel guilty.
Hope this helps.

Kellie, mum to Emily 4yo, and Jack 21mths

Hi Mia,

Sounds like you are doing a fabulous job! I too suffer from mummy guilt as I work two days a week, not much I know, and in the other three days that are not a weekend I try to do the housework, grocery, shopping, washing, bill paying, swimming lesson etc, etc. Some days I get to the end of the day and realise that I have not played with my 21 month old daughter at all! Never mind the worry that we should be attending playgroup, Kindermusik, Gymboree and the like.

if someone has a cure for Mummy Guilt they will surely make a fortune. So fear not, you are not alone and you sound like you spend heaps of time doing baby stuff and making memories that your son will treasure!

Carly

Carly - mummy to Alyssa, Ava and Mason

Some days I have mummy guilt but when Jaye is playing and doing her own thing thats when I have my time to myself even if it is only half hour and when she wants me she will have my full attention but it sounds like you are doing a awsome job and its normal to feel that way and we are only humans.

I know with Jaye there are days where is dont want me to play with her and than their a days that she just wants me to play with her all day.

Tracey,Jaye (girl)12/06/05, Sam (boy)10/07/09

Sign in to follow this topic