Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappy Pants

Learn More
The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.

speech delay Lock Rss

can anyone sympathise with me regarding speech delay? My 2 1/2 yr old does not have many words and is very shy. He is so lovely and fun though when people get to know him. Sometimes when people realise he doesn't talk they tend to go and play or talk to someone else (adults and kids). It is so upsetting. I love him so much, I just want others to know that he really is very intelligent, but you just need to interact with him and he will open up.

Nadine, NSW, 2 yr toddler & 3 mth baby

have him assessed by a speech therapist

mum of 3 boys aged 11, 13 and 14

hey,
My little boy just turned 2.. He too is very shy at first and his speech is only now starting to pick up.. i totally sympathise with your situation as my son is the same as yours in social situations! It takes him awhile to warm up to people enough to really interact with them, but most people don't want to take that time and think he just doesn't like them, so they don't bother and go talk/play with someone else..! I really feel sad for him when he is playing with his 4yr old cousin.. she has been talking since she was 1 so now she picks on my boy as he can't say most words correctly.. she will say..'what is he saying? that's not even a word!' it's really upsetting when i hear he say that..: (
He, like your son, is such a funloving, intelligent little guy.. When he hugs me, i just melt..lol If only other people would give him the chance to be himself, they too would see this!

Hope your little one is doing well.. And you are too..
Lainy

Foley 03/05/04, Corbin 13/04/07

Hi,
I have just been to a meeting and had another cry yet again.
I have been down this very sad and frustrating road. My little boy is turning 5 and he is still having trouble with his speech. I have had so many assesments since he was 2 that's when he started going to speach therapy and boy he has come along way but still is very behind when you compare him to other children his own age.
I often find I have to speak for him when people don't understand him and I hate that!. He is being kept back at Kindergarten for another term so he will be able to cope better when he does go to school at the end of the year.
He is such a caring and affectionate little boy and I love him dearly but if you have any doubts in your mind please get onto this now.
My son still really plays on his own and only plays next to other children without really saying too much at this stage to them, but he is healthy and happy and it is just going to take time for him to catch up.
Some people and kids can be so cruel and you just want to slap them and tell them to back off!.

Hope all goes well
Chars

Sign in to follow this topic