for toilet training!

Learn more
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Toddler
  4. Caring for your Toddler
  5. Can of "Toughen Up' needed!!

Can of "Toughen Up' needed!! Rss

I have a 3 year old boy who needs to "toughen up' for want of a better term. He is generally very well behaved & gets along well with other kids -until they do something to upset him & he just goes to water. He has always been very sensitive. Loud noise is another thing that sets him off... we have just been to see Yogi Bear at the local shopping centre & he spent the whole time with his head in my lap, crying, because the music was too loud, while his 1 year old brother was bopping around in his pram! Any suggestions for activities that may help would be appreciated. We have talked about taking him to Karate lessons (may be too young). I am worried that he may be targeted by bullies if we don't sort this out by the time he goes to school.

I have a 3 year old boy who needs to "toughen up' for want of a better term. He is generally very well behaved & gets along well with other kids -until they do something to upset him & he just goes to water. He has always been very sensitive. Loud noise is another thing that sets him off... we have just been to see Yogi Bear at the local shopping centre & he spent the whole time with his head in my lap, crying, because the music was too loud, while his 1 year old brother was bopping around in his pram! Any suggestions for activities that may help would be appreciated. We have talked about taking him to Karate lessons (may be too young). I am worried that he may be targeted by bullies if we don't sort this out by the time he goes to school.

Perhaps he needs his hearing checked?? Maybethe sound hurts his ears???
does he go to daycare at all?Organised sports usually take them at 5 years of age.Sorry, no help at all, best of luck with him he will probably grow out of it

mum of 3 boys aged 11, 13 and 14

i think it is absolutely ludacris to suggest that a 3 year old "toughen up", maybe you need to "wake up" and go to the doctor and get your child checked out to see if the poor thing has a problem with his ears or maybe a sensory problem.

as far as him being sensitive, i think that is a good quality that you should not try to change maybe instead help him deal with his emotions and talk about them rather that trying to find activities to "toughen" him up.

i'm sorry this has really upset me and i think you have the wrong attitude about this situation.

The day i broke up with normal was the first day of my magical life...

Some kids just don't deal well with loud noises at all....my nephew is nearly 7yrs old now and still cracks a wobbly if a motorbike goes past on the next street!! And heaven help the person who dares to use power tools or a mower in his hearing range, he screams blue murder gggrrrr

He's had his hearing checked a few times and it's all normal but buggered if we can figure out what is so bad about certain loud noises....he'll happily sit and play video games at full volume and loud music doesn't bother him either???

HeartKids show courage, strength & tenacity

It sounds like he needed a hug...
I wouldnt worry, hopefully he will grow out of it. My first is a bit sensitive too, he's always carrying on that he's "sore", toes, fingers etc. I think its attention seeking though all kids are different. My second one is a little trooper and hardly ever cries. Its probably our own fault as the first is always spoilt with attention.
As soon as you said loud noise upsets him I instantly thought maybe get his hearing checked too.

Loud noises have always really affected DS2. He used to get agitated and cover his ears and cower when things were too loud or there were too many different noises going at once. He went and hid from his own birthday party when he was younger cause of the noise lol

Anyway long story short we found out when he started school he has auditory processing/sensory issues which explained a lot of his avoidance of noise when he was younger. His senses get overloaded and can't distinguish between sounds when there are too many or they are too loud which gets him agitated and/or upset.

Your son probably wouldn't have APD, however it could be his hearing? Also some kids are just extremely sensory. I don't know him, he may need to just simply 'toughen up' but just thought I'd mention his aversion to noise may be explained by other non-serious explanations too

i think it is absolutely ludacris to suggest that a 3 year old "toughen up", maybe you need to "wake up" and go to the doctor and get your child checked out to see if the poor thing has a problem with his ears or maybe a sensory problem.

as far as him being sensitive, i think that is a good quality that you should not try to change maybe instead help him deal with his emotions and talk about them rather that trying to find activities to "toughen" him up.

i'm sorry this has really upset me and i think you have the wrong attitude about this situation.

Thanks for the advice... smile he has no problems with his ears, that has already been checked. You have taken this totally the wrong way, maybe toughen up was the wrong expression to use. I don't want to change him at all, & I like that he is sensitive & compassionate & caring, but I also don't want him to get walked over by other kids who may see him as a push over. It was put to me by his carer at day care that it may be something that may hinder him when he starts school. I don't want for him to go & push kids around, I was after some suggestions on maybe some group activities that would help with his confidence with other kids & being away from me. I think my attitude to this situation is one of concern & I'm sorry it upset you so much that you felt the need to post such harsh words.
I wonder if you would say the same if he was a girl. My boy has always been a very sensitive boy and he is now 11yrs old and still is. I cant see anything wrong with it.

Some kids just don't deal well with loud noises at all....my nephew is nearly 7yrs old now and still cracks a wobbly if a motorbike goes past on the next street!! And heaven help the person who dares to use power tools or a mower in his hearing range, he screams blue murder gggrrrr

He's had his hearing checked a few times and it's all normal but buggered if we can figure out what is so bad about certain loud noises....he'll happily sit and play video games at full volume and loud music doesn't bother him either???

The aversion to loud noise is not so much of a concern, as frustrating as it can sometimes be. It is more the issues with other kids that I am concerned about.
My DS turned 4 in May and just started Karate lessons last term, it is great for self confidence. I agree with the PP about getting his hearing checked. I know my son is much more sooky/sensative compared to my two girls, but that is just who he is, I'm sure as he grows he will get better.
Sign in to follow this topic