Huggies Forum

Switch to Nappy-Pants

for toilet training!

Learn more

unsupervised bath time Lock Rss

At what age would u think it would be ok to let a child have some unsupervised time in the bath??
It depends on how long you are leaving the child for, and where you are in relation to them - can you still hear what is going on?

But I'd say five. You might think that sounds overly cautious but in NZ we had a case where a mother left her 18-month-old twins unsupervised and they drowned. In my case, my DD is the type of child who would be likely to stick her head under the water just to see what would happen - she isn't stupid but if you tell her not to do something she has to know why not - so she isn't getting an unattended bath for many years.
DD1 is 4 and I leave her for short periods, I am just in the next room so I can see her at all times and she is a chatterbox so never stops talking. I wouldn't leave her for more then a couple of minutes and wouldn't go to the other side of the house but I am comfortable with grabbing a towel and some PJs or stirring dinner.
DD1 has just turned 4. She's timid around water & doesnt like having her head under water. She sits still 98% of the time. I havent left her longer than a minute (never anything that completely takes me away from her), and my ears are always focused on her playing/talking. I know accidents can happen in any situation but just wanted to make sure i wasnt doing a bad thing by leaving her for a moment.
I will leave my girls (3yrs an 2yrs old) in the bath for a minute if I really have to. But in saying that they only ever have no more then 5cms of water in the bath! So its not exactly enough water they can drown in they can bearly wash them selfs with that amount of water! unless they hit their head an blank out an go face first into the water or something tragic like that.
I think when little master turns 5 i might leave him for a few minutes. I will see how he goes around that time. We only have a shower but i still don't think i will feel comfortable in leaving him till he 5.

I leave my 5 1/2 year old in the bath unsupervised, but do go in and out occasionally to check her and leave the door open and our house is fairly small so I can hear her wherever I am. My 2 year old I dont leave at all and if they are in together I stay with them.. only takes a bit of mucking about for one to slip and hit their head and go under.
my 5yr old and 17mth old have a bath together my house is very small so wherever i am i can hear them as they are very noisy i dont leave my 17mth old in for long but my 5yr old likes to have long baths but she is talking all the time and i also call out are you ok and i get the answer yes mum

I will leave my girls (3yrs an 2yrs old) in the bath for a minute if I really have to. But in saying that they only ever have no more then 5cms of water in the bath! So its not exactly enough water they can drown in they can bearly wash them selfs with that amount of water! unless they hit their head an blank out an go face first into the water or something tragic like that.

THIS IS COMPLETELY FALSE,
young children can drown in very small amounts of water, if theres enough to cover their nose and mouth they can drown. if a child puts their face in the water and takes a breath and they panic and maybe gasp again they already have water in their lungs...drowning can occur well AFTER submursion if there is water on the lungs. it happens all the time in adults whove 'almost' drowned say at the beach..they seem ok then go into cardiac arrest an hour later because of excess water in their respiratory system. PLEASE be aware of this sad im not having a go mind you id just hate for something horrid to happen if you dont fully understand that it IS POSSIBLE for a child to drown in 5cm of water.

THIS IS COMPLETELY FALSE,
young children can drown in very small amounts of water, if theres enough to cover their nose and mouth they can drown. if a child puts their face in the water and takes a breath and they panic and maybe gasp again they already have water in their lungs...drowning can occur well AFTER submursion if there is water on the lungs. it happens all the time in adults whove 'almost' drowned say at the beach..they seem ok then go into cardiac arrest an hour later because of excess water in their respiratory system. PLEASE be aware of this sad im not having a go mind you id just hate for something horrid to happen if you dont fully understand that it IS POSSIBLE for a child to drown in 5cm of water.

Yes because I'm the ONLY BAD mother that will leave their kids in the bath for a few seconds to a min if I REALLY have to... Don't go pointing out my post an saying "THIS IS COMPLETELY FALSE" an "PLEASE be aware of this sad im not having a go mind you id just hate for something horrid to happen if you dont fully understand that it IS POSSIBLE for a child to drown in 5cm of water" Don't you think i already know the dangers of kids around water?? We all know our children better then anyone else ever will!

Yes because I'm the ONLY BAD mother that will leave their kids in the bath for a few seconds to a min if I REALLY have to... Don't go pointing out my post an saying "THIS IS COMPLETELY FALSE" an "PLEASE be aware of this sad im not having a go mind you id just hate for something horrid to happen if you dont fully understand that it IS POSSIBLE for a child to drown in 5cm of water" Don't you think i already know the dangers of kids around water?? We all know our children better then anyone else ever will!

thats exactly why i said im NOT having a go at you or anyone else unsure and i did in no way say you were a bad mother !! jeez angry
i was simply pointing out the misconception that children wont drown in only a small amount of water. that is all. i in no way judged you or anyone else for leaving your child unattended for a moment in the bath..i myself do this to grab the phone or to stir dinner.
however, many people do NOT completely understand the danger of a child in water.. you illumitated this by saying what you did about 5cm hardly being enough to drown in, so i thought id simply take the opportunity to point it out.
and i in no way said anything about you not knowing your children..? maybe re read my post and stop overreacting and seeing attacks where there isnt any smile im just trying to be helpful. love and light X
My son is 2 and i leave him in the bath by himself! Seems very young after reading everyones reply in here.

But he has been in swim leason for over a year now and can swim by himself.

Plus my son does not stop talking at all even when he is by himself he talks to himself so i can hear him talking the whole time!
Sign in to follow this topic