Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappy Pants

Learn More

Child care benefit help Lock Rss

Hey guys!
Hope everyone is well.
I'm about to start ds1 in daycare 1 day a week. He is already approved for CCB from when he was in care 2 years ago. When I look at the centrelink app it tells me a percentage but does anyone know is that the percentage they pay or that I pay?
If it's what they pay its pretty good!

The percentage that you get in the estimate is the rate you are entitled to. If you know what the daily fee is for the centre you can add all the details in the estimator and it will tell you what your actual fee would be.
Roses are red wrote:
I was under the impression that it's 50% that is covered by centerlink. However I do not know if that differs depending on your family tax benefit situation.

There is also a Child Care Rebate (CCR) which you get 50% back of the fee you pay each week upto a capped amount each year but this only applies if you are meet the work or study criteria? The child care benefit you get depends on what the income is for your house. I work in a centre, but not sure if anything varies between states.
Can I also ask a question. How does the CCB work. Do you get a percentage of your out of pocket paid to the childcare expense back and the end of the financial year? This is very confusing too me
Stacey_Ashworth80 wrote:
Can I also ask a question. How does the CCB work. Do you get a percentage of your out of pocket paid to the childcare expense back and the end of the financial year? This is very confusing too me

It may vary between the states, Im not sure if there are differences where you live. If you are entitled to ccb, you can claim it to offset your fees on a weekly basis to reduce how much you pay each week out of pocket, how much you get depends on your income, or you can choose to pay full fees each week and then claim it back at the end of financial year if you are entitled to it but didnt claim. So basically you pick which option you prefer. If you are also getting the rebate you can choose to have this paid weekly or yearly but you cant change your mind about how you want to receive it during the year, can only do it once each year. If you overestimate your income for the year then you will get the difference back for any CCB you are entitled to as a lump sum after doing tax returns for you and your partner. Hope that makes sense.
StrawberryTimTam wrote:
Hey guys!
Hope everyone is well.
I'm about to start ds1 in daycare 1 day a week. He is already approved for CCB from when he was in care 2 years ago. When I look at the centrelink app it tells me a percentage but does anyone know is that the percentage they pay or that I pay?
If it's what they pay its pretty good!

The percentage is how much CCB you are entitled to, not the percentage of your fees they cover. I hope I make sense and don't confuse you trying to explain it all. So if you were on 100% then that means you get the maximum amount of CCB, not that 100% of your fees are paid. So if your percentage was 75% then you get 75% of what the CCB rate is.

Off the top of my head the CCB is around $4 something per hour at the moment (lets just go with that for this calculation anyway). So if a centre is open for 11 hrs a day and you were on 100% you would get $4 x 11 ($44), and if your centre's fee was $80 you would get $44 paid by CCB and out of pocket you pay $36. If you're centre charged $100 a day you get $44 paid by CCB and you pay out of pocket $56. The CCR is then 50% back of what you pay out of pocket if you are eligible.

Thanks for all the help!
I used the online estimator just to be sure. I also had to ring centrelink anyway. Turns out the course I am doing online (or not doing so far but want to get stuck into it when he is in daycare) makes us eligible for the rebate also. Going in to enrol him & pay fees today. Really excited for us both! I know once he settles in he is going to love it and the time with other kids will be so good for him. Plus the structured days and learning & developement activities. He is so into numbers & letters at the moment & they will have the experience & resources to encourage that & help him more than I could at home. Can't believe how much he is growing up and I'm actually thinking about this stuff for him to be ready for school! Obviously it's a while away yet but it seems like yesterday he was my little bub!

Sign in to follow this topic