Learn more
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Toddler
  4. Caring for your Toddler
  5. 12 months old and having tantrums

12 months old and having tantrums Rss

Hi lovely mums,

My DD has just turned one, and she's just started having rather big tantrums, and I'm not sure how to react.

If she can't have something she wants, she goes into full-blown crying, kicking, stomping, scratching at me, and screaming like mad. She gives herself quite a fright sometimes with the intensity of her frustration! She doesn't do it all the time, just now and then when she's getting tired etc, but I don't know how to react because in many ways she is still just a baby. What I've been doing is first trying to distract her with something else, then when that doesn't work I try to cuddle her and comfort her, at which point she usually whacks me in frustration, but if I put her down and leave her to it, she gets even worse.

I know that this is only the beginning, and it's all part of the toddler fun, but do you wise mamas have any ideas about how to deal with Nina's tantrums effectively and kindly, when she is still really just a baby in a lot of ways? Thanks! smile

This new forum is strange ...

I think you'll find she is doing this because you give in and she wins.

My DD started having tantrums (big ones) at around the same age and not alot though but when she does she goes all out! screams, stomps, kicks her legs etc. although i'm not sure about the scratching as my DD doesn't hit, scratch or kick me.

I think because she's just starting you should just ignore her and even when she gets worse just walk away give her 5 minutes or longer and see if she will get the message and calm down. The 1st time you do this she'll probably go on and on but still give her the chance to calm herself down.

I will add that if she's tired it will be alot worse so try and keep a good sleeping routine so she won't get over tired because when they get over tired and chuck a tantrum it's 10 time worse!
Hi Vanya

Kaitlyn is 13 months old and has thrown a couple of tantrums so far. I have found that walking away and ignoring her has been the most successful approach for us. The more I cater to her and try to console her the longer the tantrum goes on for. Now if we take something of her she will cry for a bit and then go find something else to play with. Hubby use to try and reason with her but he to has realised that it is just best to ignore. I don't know if this will eventually work with your little one as they are all so different but it might be worth a shot. I'm hoping to nip tantrums in the bud as soon as possible and so far it is working. I know all kids will try it on but I'm hoping that Kaitlyn won't be a toddler that throws one over anything.

Karen, NSW, 1 baby girl

Sign in to follow this topic