for toilet training!

Learn more
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Toddler
  4. Caring for your Toddler
  5. I feel like I am not doing a good job lately

I feel like I am not doing a good job lately Rss

We have a 19 month old toddler and I'm a full time mum lately though i just feel like all i do is get angry with him!

usually i am really patient with him but lately i find myself getting frustrated with him when we have to go say down the street and I have to keep stopping the car cause he gets out of his car seat belt straps he finds this amusing which I don't at all

And lately I have been telling him off then feel awful about it afterwards! I hurt my wrist last week so its really hard for me to pick him up at the moment which makes it more difficult too

i don't feel like a very good mum at all

melissa, vic, Patrick 2.5 & Laura 15 months

Hi Melissa,
I am sure you are doing just fine, he sounds like a normal little toddler to me.
My 2.9 yr old still gets her arms out of her seatbelt, I am over yelling at her and now tell her that I am very sad when she does this, and for some stupid reason she stops.
My husband gets cranky because I do yell, but sometimes AAAAAHHHHHH what else do you do.

You are doing just fine, when he makes you cranky try and destract him and make him laugh at something, it feels so much better.
Hope you are having a good day today.

Sydney,twin boys 22/10/04+girl 26/03/02

Hooray!!! I am not the only one! I was going to start a post today asking if any one else's child gets their arms out of their seatbelts and what can I do to stop it. My 14 month old son has been doing this for the last week and I am finding I have to stop the car every 5 minutes to put his arms back through. Then 5 minutes later.....! The belts are tight so I don't know what else to do. All I seem to do lately is say "No" or "that's naughty". He will do something naughty (eg throw a toy across the room) and say "no" or "that's naughty" so I believe he is just trying to test me and my patience! He knows what he is doing is wrong. I thought it was me, but talking to a friend with a son the same age this morning, she said he is doing the same thing! Hopefully this stage doesn't last too long. I thought I had another six months or so!
Naomi

My babies are all grown up sad

my 15mth old DD does it too surley there is a invention that can stop them doing it? It must be there age as DD is very defiant atm as well and the angryier i get the worse she gets OH the joys

DD 19/10/03 & Trainee Doula

thanks i feel much better

i know this is going to sound silly but i feel like my little boy is going to remember the times when I go angry with him i know he won't though but being pregnant i am not very rational at the moment

thanks again

melissa, vic, Patrick 2.5 & Laura 15 months

I read these posts and feel the same as most. How much pressure do we put on ourselves as mums? I have twins and they both go in different directions, I can not take them out in the pram at the moment because they fight. I just started a night job, so I think the demands of toddlers, work and life can sometimes make us think we are not doing a good job - but just remind yourself of what a good job you are doing when those tiny little arms wrap around your neck and you get a big hug. Kids don't do that if you are doing a bad job.

Victoria ~ 3yr old beautiful twin boys

Ladies, i think the thing to remember is to take some "you" time. i get really frustrated and at times i am in tears trying to cope with a colicy newborn and a tantrum throwing toddler. Thinking back to my own childhood, i can never remember my mum not coping like me. And she had 4 kids under 6. But she swears that it was just as hard for her. Your kids will remember the happy times and all the love.
I try and take at least an hour a day for me. Some times when the boys are sleeping, or my partner will watch them. i soak in a bath, go for a walk by myself, read a novel or i sit and write in a journal about the good things i have done that day. Trust me, i leave the dishes, i leave clothes on the line. My time comes before all that. Everyone should try it. When you are more relaxed things seem better.

The Deeks 07/08/02, Googie 23/11/04

I think everyone goes through the "I'm being a horrible mum" stage.

Sounds like you really need some time for yourself. Just because you take time to pamper yourself doesn't mean you can't cope, or you are palming off your duties....we ALL need it.

When I realise I am starting to be angry more than happy, I take Jordan to my mums. Most of the time I still stay there as well, but having someone to talk to, and someone to do most of the chasing really helps.

Once a month I also have a "me" day. Depending on what I have planned hubby stays home with Jodan and I go out for the day, or if I want to have a "girly" day (wash hair, lay in bath, read a book) they go out for the day.

Also, if you are having a bad time, plonk your little angel in front of the tv for an hour. Yeah, people will say thats bad parenting, but staying sane is important.

Don't be so hard on yourself. We all do the best we can, and no one has it all together all of the time.
Sign in to follow this topic