Huggies Forum

Switch to Nappy-Pants

for toilet training!

Learn more

Pre-school Lock Rss

Hi everyone,

I am a first time mum, so I was just wandering at what age do kids start pre-school. Plus, how do we go about finding a reputable pre-school.

Mum to toddler

Hi Sammie,
My two yr old started pre school last July.
I just looked around the local area, and started door knocking and getting info sent out.

Some of the prices between them can be very different ranging from $26.00 a day up to nearly $70.00. just depends on what hours you need and if they are a true pre school or a child care centre. Also some places provide meals some don't.

I found some wouldn't take children under 3(preschool) and they had to be toilet trained.

Some places I walked into I walked straight back out of, some were horrible and I wasn't going to let my child go there.

Child care is normally 0-5,6
Preschool normally 3-5
Where I go they have them from 2-6 and they don't have to be toilet trained, they will help out with that which is great.

Where abouts do you live???? What area are you looking????
Let me know if you need any other questions

Sydney,twin boys 22/10/04+girl 26/03/02

Hi Janelle,

Thanks for all the info, it's very much appreciated. I'm looking for a pre-school definitely not a childcare centre. I want my boy to go to a pre-school where he will be mingling and communicating with other children also doing activities, not just being minded. He is only 17 months old, but I'm only just looking at the moment. I know it will take time to find the right one. I'm happy paying the money as long as it's the type of pre-school I'm looking for.

I live in the Strathfield area in Sydney so I would be looking for a centre around the area.

Thanks so much for being so helpful.

Sam

Mum to toddler

Hi Sammie and Janelle. Im confused about what pre school actually is. Is it different to 3 year old kinder, which I was told by a proffessional is actually an expensive version of playgroup. But Im sure 3 year old kinder wouldnt hurt them anyway, but what is the difference? Is it kindergarten but with a differnent name? could someone tell me!

JZ mum to Bradley 17/08/03 and Heidi 25/02/06

Preschool kindergarten pretty much the same thing.
I call mine a preschool but its name is a Kindergarten.
Most of them should have a school readiness program as well. Which at 4 they start the proper steps preparing them for school.
JZ my understanding of playgroup as my daughter goes is just a group of mums with there kids that get togeather for a couple of hours and organize an activity and the kids play togeather.
Preschool or kindergarten they have set things they do and they do have play time plus reading, news, even a exercise class.
Sammie you may have to start pitting your name down on a waiting list as well so he can get a spot

Sydney,twin boys 22/10/04+girl 26/03/02

Hi,

Thanks so much for the advice, I will start looking around.

Mum to toddler

just so you know, pre-school and child care centres are very similar in what they do.

children at child care centres are not "just being minded"! smile

the main difference between these two are the hours they open.

Jubs_n_Tia, 24, NSW, boy 06/11/99 + girl 15/05/02

I'm sorry if I offend anybody by saying that are "just being minded" at childcare centres but that's just my point of view.

Mum to toddler

Sign in to follow this topic