Huggies Forum

Switch to Nappy-Pants

for toilet training!

Learn more
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Toddler
  4. Caring for your Toddler
  5. Alternative to smacking that a two year old would understand?

Alternative to smacking that a two year old would understand? Lock Rss

Hi ladies,

I was wondering what you all do to dicipline your two year olds other than smacking?

I've heard so much about not smacking your kids in the media lately but none of them seem to offer an alternative...

My son is starting terrible twos and I need to set boundaries but am at a loss as to how...

Please help...

Elle, DS: Kai 20/11/04 & DS: Jamie 13/02/07

Hi there my DS is 2 next Tuesday so is around the sam age as your DS.
A few weeks ago I was at my wites end with Nath so I tried "time out" with him and to my suprise it worked. Now if he is doing something he shouldn't be (hitting his sister etc) he gets asked once to stop the behaviour and worned that if he does it again he will go to time out. If it happens again he has to sit on a cushion in the corner. At first he would sit there (with me blocking him from running away) for about 30sec but now I can get him to sit for 1 min. He then has to say sorry or do what it is I was asking him to do.

I'm not sure what state you are in but in QLD they run the Positive Parenting Program (triple P) for free through child health clinics. I did it when DD was 2 and found it great.

Well that is what is working for us, each child is different so hopefully you will find what works for your little boy.

Rell
Sign in to follow this topic