Huggies Forum

Switch to Nappy-Pants

for toilet training!

Learn more

do they all throw tantrems? Lock Rss

ok everyone has told us since DS was born "you jsut wait until he's 2 then you'll know all about it"

well DS is just about to turn 2 and has shown us no signs and given us no reason to believe he is going to be tantrem thrower. are we kidding ourselves or could it be possible that he never will have a fit for not getting his own way?

we've been strict since day one and he has turned out (so far) a lovely well manered and behaved child... other mums ask 'whats the secret' when DS hops of the little rides at the shops the second it finishes and jsut claps and says yay bubbye and hops back into the pram happily without a fit.

he's happy enough when you say 'no' or ask him to do something or go to bed without putting up a fight majority of the time (bar when hes VERY tired)

SO you reckon it will come later? or our techniques along with his personality/nature have paid off?

Kayden 2, Jace 2weeks

I don't know to tell you the truth. My MIL tells me all the time my DH never threw tantrums as a kid so if you talk to her she would tell you that not all kids do but I don't know if that is a case of selective memory cause all the kids I know do/have. I actually personally don't look at tantrums as being a totally negative thing though as its all part of their development and them learnign to control their emotions. A couple of people have told me their kids missed the 'terrible twos' but had the 'terrible threes' so I suppose you could get them later or you could be lucky like my MIL and not get them at all smile
Jo

Ryan (2) & Jayden (18mths)

Hey, just thought i'd reply to your post when i saw it. You have described your son exactly to a tee. Our son has been a perfect child exactly like yours. I used to put it down to a placid nature and also we have been very strict since day one as we have seen friends let their kids get away with murder and end up so naughty. Anyway, he will be 2 1/2 in 2 weeks time and this week has started tantrums. All week he has shocked us with behavour that we don't even understand where has come from and where he picked it up from. He's kicked, hit, screamed, spat, thrown toys (which have all been removed from the house now) kicked walls, thrown breakfast against the wall today, slamming doors, anything and everything. We are at our wits end ....have put him in time out again and again, taken away his toys and privlages, given him some smacks....nothing is working and now i know why people say "just you wait.....it will happen". Well it did and we can't believe it and I got so desparate this morning I rang parent helpline as his tantrums were unbelievable. He was even trying to hurt himself in timeout by biting himself. pinching himself, hitting himself (never done any of this in his life before). Anyway, the parent helpline counsellor was extremely helpful with making me feel we are doing the right thing but she said all kids mostly try it out on mum & dad and it's just part of their development. Doesn't give me much comfort knowing we've got a monster at the moment. (and that's all i can call him) I'm tired, fed up and over him at the moment to the point where I don't even want to be near him. So our perfect little angel we've had for over 2 years is gone at the moment and we just hope he comes back SOON !!! Sorry, but just thought I'd warn you it will happen and hopefully it won't be such a shock to you as it was to us. cheers, sharyn
my little boy has just turned 16 months and is really throwing them when he doesn't is own way. Just be thankful your children are happy all of the time...it may or may not happen later. But both mine started early.

Sal, two mischief boys 4yrs & 16 mth's

My daughter is only 18 months old and when she doesnt get what she wants she will throw herself on the floor and carry on til she gets it but it doesnt work and now I just walk aways when she does it and I think that every child is going to go though this stage and sometimes I will have a child that is sweet and will do anything that I ask her and than she will be a little bugga.

But I think that if you believe in what you are doing than stick to it and I think that children will always test us and see how far they can push us.

Tracey,Jaye (girl)12/06/05, Sam (boy)10/07/09

you are just the luckiest mum in the world!!!!!!!!!
my boy is pretty well behaived, but not that well.
your doing a top job to have such a plesent child.
Hi Kayden'smum
My daughter skipped the tantrums as well. She's 3.5 years old now and still hasn't had one. She is very placcid and I have been strict with her as well.
I don't know why she is this way really, maybe because we had a hard start to life, she was born at 23.2 weeks 450 grams. She's very polite always says please and thank you and shares everything. She's very smart for her age according to all the testing she's had done. My mum said I was like that as a child, maybe it runs in the family, I have no idea.

Mum to Brooke 23.2 weeks, 450 grams now 3.5 yrs

Well the saying that "they all throw tantrums" is a falsehood. My oldest never had tantrums the only trouble I had with him was when he started kindy he got a bit of an attitude but I think he learnt that quickly from the other kids. So be greatful for good parenting and strict but fair discipline. It works especially if you do it from day one.

Connie, WA,

Hi,

My DD was an excellent toddler, no tantrums either.... I put it down to the fact she had very good language skills and could express herself verbally BUT boy did I cop it when she hit about 4-lots of attitude and thinking she knew it all.

Even now at 7 1/2 years she has just started again with the whole waterworks and tantrums when we say no or don't let her do something; except now we get 'that's not fair!" LOL- life's not fair!!!

ATM hubby and I are teaming up and being really strict until the eye rolling and huffing etc stops...

My 13month old however has already in the past 2 weeks started saying 'no' and screams blue murder if you take something off him or wont let him near something. He does seem to have a more fiery personality than my DD though.

Good luck and hopefully they wont come
Jo

P.S- we too are very strict parents

Jo, DD 7yrs dance addict; little man 13 months

It eventually will happen... they are ticking timebombs!
They will explode when you least expect it - in the most embarressing way possible - in public!...
Enjoy this pleasent time, as soon - you won't want to even look at them you'll be that fed up with their tantrums!
what they don't do at 2 - they do at 3!!
no "terrible 2" excuse then!!
At least thats what i'm sticking too!!!!
well done
hope for your sake its not the calm before the storm!

mum of 3 boys aged 11, 13 and 14

Sign in to follow this topic