Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappy Pants

Learn More

Toddler won't drink! Lock Rss

My 14 month old boy pushes the cup away nearly every time I offer it to him. He used to drink about 500ml during the day but now will hardly drink anything. I've tried lots of different cups but it makes little difference. He's teething, would that make a difference? Does anyone else out there have a toddler that drinks very little? What did you do? How much is normal for a toddler to drink? I'm sure my others drank around 750 - 1000ml a day of milk and water. I'm very worried about him.

Tania, NSW - Mum to 4, Number 5 due Feb 07

Hi Tania,
Hey first let me say it probably makes all us mums feel better about themselves that someone who has had 4 kids still has questions! smile
The fact that he's teething could well be a factor, I'd suggest a little teething gel on his gums before offering a drink incase it's the soreness that has him refusing.
My 19mnth old drinks lots of water but my 3yr old needs a little coaxing. I offer her coloured cups/fancy straws etc and most often it works, but then again she's 3, not 14mnths.
If you find the solution, be sure to let us know!

Dizie, 2 girls, 2002 & 2003

Hi Tania

I think I may have replied to another one of your posts on this topic - so sorry if I am repeating my self smile !

My son is nearly 2, I breastfed him until about 13 months and couldn't get him to drink anything else. I tried heaps of different cups too. I'd be lucky to get him to drink 20mls of water a day - and milk was totally out of the question. Then one day he just drank 120mls of water in one go. I asked the nurse about it as I was worried he wouldn't be getting enough fluid and calcium etc. She said as long as he was eating yoghurt and cheese he would be getting enough calcium. As for fluid she suggested giving him watery fruit such as watermelon, apple, grapes etc. He did eventually start drinking a couple of cups of water and milk everyday. But even now he'll go through a few days not drinking much so I just give him plenty of yoghurt and cheese and lots of watermelon until he starts drinking again.

If your worried about his health I'd suggest taking him to your child health nurse or GP - I'm sure they'll put your mind at ease.

Take care
Jasmine smile
Sign in to follow this topic