Huggies Forum

Switch to Nappy-Pants

for toilet training!

Learn more

New Kid on the Block Rss

Hi everyone.
I have a daughter who is almost 3 and am due to have another baby 2weeks before her birthday (march 2004). I was wondering if anybody had any advice on "sibling bonding" as i am worried about how my daughter is going to cope being a big sister. She seems quite excited now and i have included her in the pregnancy as much as possible but i am worried she will change her attitude once the baby is actually here, especially since their birthdays are likely to be so close.
She has been the only grandchild and neice on both paternal sides so has been quite spoilt by everyone so i also fear this will cause jealousy.
If anyone is able to offer advice and/or suggestions please do so i am open to anything. If you like please email me at broodypython@hotmail.com
Thanks, Tash
Hi reading your message rang some bells for me as I have a almost 3 year old boy and a 10 month old boy. My son was a bit younger but after giving birth my husband brought him straight into the birthing room, where he gave his new little brother a present (a teddy) & in exchange he also recieved a present from his brother. You will have good & bad days we sure have. You will know with your daughters moods, we tell visitors to make a fuss of our older son when seeing us then holding our youngest as we found thats when he was his naughtiest when we had visitors as he felt left out. Well Good Luck- Amy

amy,vic,3 year old & 1 year old

My sister and I are 4 years apart with only 3 days between our birthdays and my neice and nephew are 3 years apart with 6 days between there birthdays so I've seen the problems that can become of this both in the short and long term. I think it is important to make sure you plan a 3rd Birthday Party and make it special (you may not be up to it, so organise some help) and make sure the most special present is from the new baby, as well as having them give each other presents.
For future Birthday Parties - try to not combine them even if they're only a few days apart. They can both be on the same day with the same theme but make sure they are at different times of the day and each have their own birthday cake.
To try to reduce conflict make a point of being equal in everything including your time with them, number of toys for Christmas (value doesn't matter at first), etc. etc.
Good Luck. Enjoy.

Broni.

Lucy's Mum

Sign in to follow this topic