Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappy Pants

Learn More
The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Toddler
  4. Caring for your Toddler
  5. What age/How got rid of Dummy?.

What age/How got rid of Dummy?. Lock Rss

My SOn is 26 months and wont part with his beloved Dummy, he wants it all day and if I try to take it away he throws tanthrums Iam trying to get it to sleep time only and then get rid of it all together, What age did you child give up dummy and how did it happen, did they just wake up one day and say no dummy or was it a battle?.

Maree NSW, Oscar 5 yrs and Anton 2yr

HI MYRTLE,
I PROBABLY WONT BE MUCH HELP ONLY BECAUSE IM TRYING TO GET RID OF MY BABIES DUMMY TOO. MY BOY IS 18 MONTHS AND IS STILL TEETHING SO LOVES HIS DUMMY. ITS HARD ISNT IT,ESPECIALLY WHEN THEY CRY FOR IT.MY AUNTY THROUGH HER LITTLE GIRLS DUMMY IN THE TOILET(DONT ASK ME HOW SHE GOT IT OUT) BUT SOMEHOW IT WORKED,HER LITTLE GIRL DIDNT WANT IT ANYMORE.ANYWAY GOOD LUCK AND HAPPY PARENTING!
LUCASMUM

angela,vic,3years old toddler

Hi Maree,

Don't feel bad. My daughter is nearly three (next month) and still has a dummy. I was going to be one of these parents who was NOT going to have a toddler with a dummy! YUK! But...... life with kids is never what we expect!! Amy seems to go through stages. She keeps telling me it's only for sleep time at home, as none of the other toddlers/kindy kids at day care have theirs. She still takes it, puts it in her bag, it stays there all day (doesn't even have it at nap time there!), then as soon as my husband picks her up - she wants it. We tried a "special box" at home, that worked for about a week. She would only have it when home from day care. I have noticed over the last few weeks she now only uses it if she is really tired or has hurt herself. I figure she will just give it up. And if it means that she will go to sleep without crying herself to sleep, then I'm going to let her have it. We have decided to try the "Dummy fairy is coming tomorrow, now that you have turned 3, and take your dummy for little kids" on her birthday. It worked for my girlfriend's daughter, so who knows? I really think it's just habit a lot of the time, as she only really wants it if she remembers!

Best of luck, and if you find something that works - let me know!
my son is 20months and I'm going through the same thing. He is getting his two year molars. If we are out and don't have a dummies it doesnt bother him as he goes to sleep with out it. We are going to try and get rid of the dummies at Christmas by telling him that if he gives his dummies to Santa he will leave him presents as that is what a friend tried and it worked. So good luck.

Bec,QLD,20mth baby boy

A good friend of mine managed to get rid of both of her children's dummy's at about 21/2 years old. She let them know that they were big kids and coaxed them into leaving their dummies for Santa with the milk and biscuits on Christmas Eve.

She let them know that once it was gone it wouldn't come back and to be sure they wanted to leave it for Santa. Come Christmas morning with both children cookies, milk and dummies were gone and she didn't have any troubles.

I think she was very lucky. I plan to try something likes this with my daughter when she is a bit older.

Sonia,NSW,12mth old

hi,
i just got rid of it!!! my DS#1 is 2yrs 5mths and loves (oops wrong tense..loved) his dummy. he had it for bed time, when he got hurt, when he wanted to take a break and relax. i think ive gone through more dummies with him than i can count.
but only 4 days ago did i throw it out the window! the story goes...... i went for a drive with my brother and my boys and my brother turned around and saw my DS with his dummy in his mouth. my brother said to him "why do you have a dummy? youre a big boy. big boys dont have dummies. youre a baby if you have one". my son replied " no im a big boy". the banter went on and then my son told me to take it and said "mama yucky dummy. throw it away. im a big boy". so what did i do...... sorry australia for the littering but i threw it out the window. he was gobsmacked!! he couldnt believe i threw his beloved dummy out. he knew there was no way of getting it back now! sad
anyways when it came to nap time he asked me for it, but i told him it was gone. he then told me " no, go wash it a give it to me please" i said again that it was gone i threw it out the window. he started to whine then i reminded him that he was a big boy and didnt need it. he agreed that he was a big boy, but still wanted it. eventually after 1 1/2hrs of tossing and turning he fell asleep. smile
he still asks for it, but before i can answer him he remembers that i threw it out the window and that he is a big boy.
but what i find funny is that when DS#2 leaves his lying around DS#1 happens to disappear to go and have a quick suck!!!! smile
i suppose its my own fault for the habit, but he hasnt had it so far....
all i can say is you need to be consistant and persistant.. that goes for anything you try to teach our beloved toddlers.
take care

Amina, mum of 3 boys 06/03, 03/05, 06/08

Hi guys - guess what? THE DREADED DUMMY IS GONE!!! Yep, a week ago my daughter asked for her dummy on the way home from day care - and guess what. I couldn't find it in her bag. She pulled her bag apart when we got home, then told me she left it in her locker, and wanted me to go back to day care to get it. Told her I couldn't, because it was shut. Then she wanted me to go to the shops and buy a spare one. Told her I couldn't, because they were shut. I explained she was the one who left it at day care, not me, so now she would have to go without it. I told her she's a big girl now and doesn't need it. It was such a perfect opportunity that I just couldn't give up, because it was HER who left it there, it wasn't me getting rid of it. Thank god it was a Friday. Had a few tears that night, and the next day she asked to buy another one, then laughed when I said no!! She got a colouring in book and pencils as a reward for not needing it. She asks for it probably every second or third day, but doesn't really expect to get it. So, it can be done. Of after a year of not getting rid of it, I honestly didn't think I could handle the tantrums, it's gone. And the best bit, for the first time in her 3 1/4 years, she is finally sleeping through the whole night. Not just every now and then, but every night (except one) for the last 10 days, she has slept right through. So to all those mums worried, when the opportunity arises, take it. You will be really surprised, and you may even get full night's sleep!!! PS -- When I cleaned her day care bag out on the Sunday night, there is was in the bottom. Sunday night being bin night, there it went, and she was never the wiser.
Sign in to follow this topic