Huggies Forum

Switch to Nappy-Pants

for toilet training!

Learn more

first day of daycare Rss

Well i have decided to pop dd into daycare for 1 day a week to give her some kid interaction, and to learn new things, and for something for her to do one day a week away from me, hoping that it will be great for her.
So my problem is, i dont think I am ready for her to go! (LMAO) i am going to feel so guilty or bad for leaving her there, im going to stay for a little bit at the start to make sure she is ok, as i would never just leave her there without making sure she was happy to be there by her self.
BUt what have you done? i was thinking of dropping her off at about 8.30am, and staying for a bit, then maybe picking her up at 3pm, unless they phone me earlier to say that she misses her mum tooooooo much, and i need to go pick her up!
Im so nervous!
cant imagine what it is going to be like when school starts!

3 Little Ones to Love.....

Goodluck! The first day is always the hardest on Mum. Your DD will prob be absolutely fine and they will call you if she gets too distressed. Be prepared for the second time though. That is the toughest for your DD. she understands then that you are leaving her and she will most probably cry!!! However if you leave confidently, give her a kiss and see I will be back later to get you she will adapt a lot quicker than if you get upset and hang around. Not to say you can't stay and have a play, but when you decide to leave, do it reasonably quickly. Generally, one day a week children may take a little longer to settle in as it is a long gap between days and all children are different so it takes different times for them to adapt. Be prepared for a heart wrench the first time you leave her - but trust me - it really does get easier!!!!!!

Best of luck!

it's mia's first day today! she was abit sad to see me go, i cried!!!!

we have had 2 play dates down there already and she was fine then, didn't even try to look for me!
i've rung up twice today and they sad she is more interested in playing with the baby dolls on her own!!!

she even slept on the mats for 45 mins and is still in her cot at home!!

i dropped her off at 8.50 and left at about 9.15 am. i'm going to pick her up after their arvo tea at about 2.30

I CAN"T WAIT TO SEE HER!!!!!

]/url

Well it was Hannahs first day at day care today, im going to call it kindy as it will be easier for her to say!
I CRIED TOO! i stayed behind a closed door and watched her playin, singing, and dancing this morning for about 45 minutes! then i thought, i better go!
I rang twice, and am about to go pick her up now, cant wait to see her! MISsed her like crazy!

WOW.....i got teary reading those posts!as i too have a dd that id like to put in daycare 1 day a week but wasnt sure whether to do so?i reckon i would b the one that finds it the toughest!well..i suppose... i could try it and if she's happy there i'll continue??

Sofies Mama,
to be honest it was really horrible for me for the first day! I had so many butterflies it wasnt funny!

When i picked her up, she was so glad to see me, she started crying, and wouldnt let me go! (MADE ME FEEL BAD!) But then she was ok.

But last night, she wouldnt go to sleep in her own bed, she just had this really sad cry, so after about 1 hour, or constantly telling her to hop back into bed, i caved and let her jump in my bed wiht me while i read a mag, she was asleep within 10 seconds! and she held my arm so tighlty, everytime i moved a bit, she would open her eyes to make sure i was still there! I wanted her to sleep in our bed all night cos i felt like cuddling her all night, but i ended up putting her back in her own bed about hour or 2 later!

But we are doing htis as it is good for DD. she needs to get some child interaction, and to learn some things aswell.

She will start to enjoy it once she gets over the seperation part i guess.
and then she will be wanting to go to it!

Oh, i got my first painting aswell, it was a teddy bear cut out, and she had painted it purple, (kind of painted!!!! HEHE) WHEN I seen it, it brought a tear to my eye!
It made me realise just how fast they grow up!
(TOO FAST!)

It also makes me think about how many kiddies i want, .....(HEAPS NOW!)

Good Luck with getting your daughter in daycare! ( she will hold your hand through it ! LMAO

I think every Mother feels this way. I put J into childcare when he was 13 months old when I went back to part time work. He cried when I left and I think walking out of there was one of the hardest things I had to do - but I knew that if I didn't walk out I never would!! And the guilt that I felt!! I must have called childcare that day every half an hour to check that he was OK!! He is now 2 and a half and he LOVES it. He even asks to go when he doesn't have to. He gets to interact with other kids and he learns so much there. I didn't miss out on anything as in seeing him walk for the first time as he did all that at home - lucky!! I may sound like a proud Mum but at 2 and a half he knows half of the alphabet...he recongises them when he sees them, he can count to 20 and knows about 10 colours and sings so many nursery rhymes...I think putting children in childcare is good for both them and for us!! I am about to put my daughter into childcare in November when she is 10 months old. Goodluck!!

Mum to a gorgeous boy and a gorgeous girl

ok, please tell me if it gets any easier leaving your dd ds at day care? third time today, and i was crying as i was leaving, like really crying, not just a tear in the eye.
dd was upset when i was leaving, i stayed to wath her for ages, i wanted to just go and grab her and take her home, but obviosly i coldnt do it.
im really thinking of taking her out, but that would be silly though. i want her to play with other kids, and really enjoy it, not feel like she is missing me all day long and moping around. i rememeber what it was like when i was a kid, an di had to go stay somewhere to be looked after, i missed my mum and dad so much, it was a horrible feeling.

I know how you feel and I felt that way when I first took my daughter to daycare and I stay for about half hour and just watch they did and than I leave and yes my daughter did cry for me cause she didnt want me to leave but after about half hour she settle down and started to play and at first she went once a week but than we put it up to 2 days a week and thats when I notice a change in her and she didnt get so upset cause she know that it was okay for her to stay there and play with the other children and it does take awhile for you and your daughter to get use to going to daycare and having that time away from each other but after while she will be so excited to go.

Jaye has been going since she was 15 months old and she loves daycare so much that sometimes doesnt want to came home and plus she doesnt cry anymore instead she will wave and blow kisses to me.

Tracey,Jaye (girl)12/06/05, Sam (boy)10/07/09

I know how you feel and I felt that way when I first took my daughter to daycare and I stay for about half hour and just watch they did and than I leave and yes my daughter did cry for me cause she didnt want me to leave but after about half hour she settle down and started to play and at first she went once a week but than we put it up to 2 days a week and thats when I notice a change in her and she didnt get so upset cause she know that it was okay for her to stay there and play with the other children and it does take awhile for you and your daughter to get use to going to daycare and having that time away from each other but after while she will be so excited to go.

Jaye has been going since she was 15 months old and she loves daycare so much that sometimes doesnt want to came home and plus she doesnt cry anymore instead she will wave and blow kisses to me.

Tracey,Jaye (girl)12/06/05, Sam (boy)10/07/09

Hi,
It was hard with each of my 3 kids putting them in care, but then i cry on the first day of kindy too and when they do all sorts of things (i'm pretty well a happy sook).

It does get easier and it is harder on you than them. If you show them stress or worry they will play it on you. But remember just cause you start a daycare if it doesn't suit you or bub you don't have to keep them there you can always try different avenues.

If it is a good daycare then they won't mind you hovering out of sight to listen to make sure your little one is happy nor will they mind you ringing during the day to check up until you feel comfortable. Familydaycare is great as its a small group of children in a home based environment.

DON'T be too hard on yourself most kids soon grow to love their daycare and you'll enjoy both the break and the little one's development.

dd 10.5yrs,dd 6yrs, ds 2.5yrs

The first few times are so hard.

I put DS into family daycare 1 day a week for 3 weeks before returning to work so that we could both get used to it. I cried the first 2 weeks, but on the 3rd week I was able to fight the tears. Its the worse feeling. Now DH drops DS to daycare cause he works afternoons so I dont have to do it, but I think it would be fine cause I'm fine while at work.

Fortunately for me our family daycare lady is my mums best friend so we know her really well and trust her. Also DS LOVES going and has since day 1 he has never gotten upset, and actually gets upset when he gets picked up.

You know reading your posts brought tears to my eyes cause I can feel your pain, but its does get alot easier.

Good luck xx

I have a 2 year old now!!

Sign in to follow this topic