Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappy Pants

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Toddler
  4. Toilet Training
  5. Feeling silly but really don't understand what to do.

Feeling silly but really don't understand what to do. Lock Rss

Hi Everyone, My son will be three in March and I really want to get him TT especially before No.2 arrives in August. I have tried a few times to get it going but to no avail. He is adamant that he wants a nappy whenever I ask but I do feel that is just a matter of him deciding that the toilet is better. I have never had anything to do with TT and we only moved here in November so I don't have any friends to talk to and all our family is away and he is the first to TT in our family. I feel really silly but I just don't know how to TT and all the books ect haven't helped. I know it must sound silly but I really need someone to spell out the process step by step for me. Any help would be appreciated I have pretty much cruised through all the other stages of his developement but for some reason I am really insecure and unsure of what to do when it comes to TT. Thanks.
I am definately no expert, but I can tell you how I started off; DD will be 3 in June. When the warm weather started in Nonember (I'm in QLD), if we were going to be home for a few hours, I'd put her in underpants so we both could see when she did a wee.

I'd keep a really close eye on her and try to catch her before it all came, take her to the toilet and read a story for a while and tell her she could let her wee come down into the toilet like mummy does. (we've got one of those step/seat things).

Also, put her on the toilet and read a story for a while about 10 minutes after a big drink of water.

If we were going out, I'd put her in a nappy for several weeks til I thought she had a bit of control and I'd worked out how long she usually goes between wee's.

She still doesn't often tell me she needs to go, I konw her time schedule and watch for her to grab her privates.

THis has been going for about 2.5 months and I still put her in a nappy for sleep times because she wakes up wet and she doens't like to tell me shen she needs to go so I feel sure we'd just be having lots of wet sheets.

Sorry this is so long, but I hope it helps to read what is working for us. I know what you mean about feeling insecure; I've felt like that about TT too(and still do sometimes). I guess we just muddle through as best we can just like all the other stages in our darling children's lives!! Best of luck!
I remember feeling unsure, insecure and frusrated about TT. The thing was, it was for my 3rd child. I wouldn't rush TT as all that worked could be undone if he regresses when the new bub arrives.

DS2 was closer to 5 than 4 when he was finally 'trained'. I've noticed with my older two that it is easier to train the child if they are uncomfortable when wet. (DS2 would tip dog water dish over himself in the middle of winter and keep playing.) What finally worked was putting him in cloth nappies. It wasn't the wet feeling, it was the bulk hanging between his legs. He did NOT like waddling. Combined with toilet timing, we avoided most accidents.

Hope this helps.

Robynne-69 DH-61 DS1-94 DD1-96 DS2-99 DS3&DD2-04

hey, all i can do is tell you what worked for me. My 2.5 yr old son is now TT day and nite. Im a stay home mum so one week i did just that,stayed home and did not go out at all for one whole week (it was hard) and i just left caleb to run around with no pants at all and the potty sitting in the middle of the lounge, he had a couple of accidents on the floor i just didn't make a big deal about it and just suggested next time he might try to go on the potty and by day 5 he was going on the potty, and 1 week after that he was even standing at the toilet.After about 2 weeks of successful dry days i started the night time, just put him to bed with no nappy and talking to him about if he needs to go the potty is right here beside the bed or he can come get mum or dad, and we had 4 nights of wet but again no big deal was made and just kept saying the potty is here etc. So now i have a 2.5 yr old fully TT . It wasnt easy but we got there and i didn't listen too any of the millions of suggestions i was given i just tried and it worked for me so maybe a little bit may work for you but like you have already been told when its time for him it will work! good luck.
Sign in to follow this topic