for toilet training!

Learn more
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Toddler
  4. Toilet Training
  5. regressed 2 1/2 year old at birth of sibling

regressed 2 1/2 year old at birth of sibling Lock Rss

Hi all. I have a 2 1/2 year old daughter who was doing well on the toilet and has now regressed at the birth of my 2nd child. I expected this to some degree but i'm now at my wits end in dealing with the situation. I have tried everything I could think of to encourage her to go to the toilet, I have given her more of my time to know that I'm still here for her, but she is continuously wetting. Some days she can wet as many as 8 times a day, sometimes even 3 times within 30 mins. Does anyone have any suggestions or experiencing the same problems cause I don't know what else to do.
Hi

My daughter is day trained and has regressed a couple of times in the last few months. In my case it was my daughter wanting more attention. The key with her was to remain consistent, keep putting her in undies and clean up the accidents all the while reminding her that wees/poos are for the toilet. After each accident I would take her and put her on the toilet and tell her firmly that she should be telling mummy when she needs to go. Each time I did this it would only take a day or two and she would be back to normal. I often thought about putting her back in nappies but I think if I had done that it would have just confused things. I probably haven't helped much just thought I would let you know what I did.

Good Luck
Kristi

4 lovely munchkins DD 10/03, DD 03/05, DS 10/06 &

Our daughter did this at the birth of our son, not quite to your extent but we tried giving her the option of whether she had a nappy or undies on during the day. Whatever she chose she was allowed made to feel good about her decision. Sleep times she only had a nappy choice. I even bought day time and night time nappies, Huggies for night and a cheaper brand for day time and let her choose which one she wanted. When undies were chosen and she was dry for any amount of time she was praised and a big deal was made of her, eventually nappies were given the bypass during the day. My sister (a fav Aunty) bought special undies and sent them with a phone call to tell how big and grown up she is and how proud Aunty Fi is of her using undies. It didn't take long for dry all thru the day. Hopes this helps and good luck, it wil happen. We also talked about how babies have to have nappies on all the time, we did this at baby's nappy change times. We allowed her to watch us when we were on the toilet, when she used the toilet we made a big fuss of her.

Kim, Kununurra, Mo2

I have started training my almost 3 year old just recently as I had another baby and it made the situation alot harder. I was told that some toddlers do go back to nappies with the birth of a sibling but I want to know how long should it last, my youngest is almost 1 now and my 2.5 yr old still wont go to the toilet. Its hard trying to get her to go to the toilet when she sees her baby sister still wearing nappies. You are not alone in your situation but I hope for your sake it doesnt go on for too long.

Julie, Qld mum
Sign in to follow this topic