Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappy Pants

Learn More
The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.

potty or toilet? Lock Rss

i was just wondering if there is any problems with starting training on the toilet rather than using a potty first?

catherine mum to tasmin and Liam

That's what I thought we would do when the time comes, as it avoids the transition from potty to toilet at a later stage. Not sure if it causes any problems, but I would think it wouldn't be any more difficult. My 16 mth old watches me on the toilet sometimes and I explain to her about going wees in th etoilet and that one day she will be a big girl and use the toilet just like mummy. She's not ready yet tho. She can tell me if her nappy is wet or dirty, but not till after the fact lol.

Mum to Maya Grace 02-03, Sienna & Mercedes 10-06

When we started training our oldest he wanted to have nothing to do with the potty that we had gotten, it was the huggies one too smile. He also didn't want one of those inserts that you can put under the seat so the hole isn't as big. Our son has always liked to do things like a big person, he sees us using the toilet so he thought that he can too.

But I think that it up to the individual child. Some kids might not like using a toilet staright away. In some ways I think that it would be easier if they started to learn on the toilet as then they get use to it straight away and then you don't have to teach them how.
Hi Catherine
I am training Chloe on the toliet, not the potty. My reason was that I thought if i get her used to going on the potty then i have to eventually stop that and get her used to the toliet, twice the effort. She is only used to seeing people go to the toliet so we got her the padded little seat and a step. took a while but she is going now. And she feels like a big girl. I havent encountered any problems with the toliet. When we go out we have a little travel toliet seat for public toliets that folds up in to a bag. Hope this helps. Cheers Dawn

Dawn,WA ,Chloe 3.5, Danielle born 17th dec 2004

Hi everyone,

I found with my wee daughter, that she just wasn't comfortable on the toilet seat. It was more work for her to hold on, than to actually wee.

I have one of those mini toilet looking things, it even has a lid, and you just pull the bowl out to wash it! She loves finishing up with closing the lid!

I too think it is an indervidual thing,

Tepe

DD5, DS3, DS lost to SIDS at 6mths & DD6m

thanks to everyone and every idea!
i think i will get a padded seat and a step and maybe a cook and cleaner too while im at it!!!!
thanks again bye

Oh yeah, and don't forget a massuese, gardener and my favourite, the personal shopper....

Domestic Goddess Mum of Four!

will do thanks for reminding me, silly me!

It's so hard to get decent help these days...

Domestic Goddess Mum of Four!

You might find that your child might feel more comfortable starting on the potty, and as she or he is doing it well and may accidently poo, over praise them and then try in the morning when they are most alert and wanting to learn and sit them for the first morning wee. If they do it then you will know that they are ready to go on the toilet. I honestly believe it has nothing to do with hard work or them not wanting to go toilet it is simply a stages thing. And unfortunately we all have to understand parenting is hard work and if we didn't want that then we shouldn't become parents. So Start with the potty and your child will progress to toilet when they have over come that big gapping whole fear that the toilet may give them. The more they understand that the whole in the potty is not scary they will be comfortable with the toilet concept. And that poo and wee belongs to toilet and it goes in there and that poo and wee is not apart of them just what there body does and has to chuck away. Also there is a toilet story book for boys and girls at Angus and Robertson or Big W that has a toilet sound button on it that is really helpful. Hope this helps.

Mrs. L Commins

I am wondering if anybody can tell me where abouts you can buy the toilet seat which folds up into a bag - for when you go out. (the one loubielou mentioned some months back, a few posts above?)

Linda (Jessica 3/4/03, Caleb 11/4/05)

Hi Linda,

There are quite afew travel pottys you can get, such as inflatable (Potty Pal), and different folding ones. I saw an excellent folding potty the other day on the net, and cant for the life of me remember where it was .. sorry.

If you just do a search on either travel pottys or folding pottys etc in your search engine, it's bound to come up with something. Otherwise, perhaps try eBay .. they always seem to have just what your looking for.

Sorry I couldnt be more help,
JaidasMum24

Jaida (6), Ameli (2) & Lacey (2mths) - SA

Sign in to follow this topic