for toilet training!

Learn more
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Toddler
  4. Toilet Training
  5. Toilet training 2.4 year old

Toilet training 2.4 year old Lock Rss

My daughter won't do poos or wees on the toilet! The reason why I think she is ready, is beacause she will go and hide whenever she needs to do a poo (obviously means that she knows that she needs to go!) The she comes out and says "Stinky!"

When I catch her before she has done it and sit her on the toilet, she still won't go. Even if she sits there for a good ten to fifteen minutes .... nothing!

If i ask her where she has to do her "poo-poo", she says "on the toilet" but has yet to actually go ON THE TOILET!

Any ideas?

Jubs_n_Tia, 24, NSW, boy 06/11/99 + girl 15/05/02

Hi, Just a thought .. but are you using a potty or a training seat on the toilet? As we found when training my partners now 6 yr old, he refused to do anything on the toilet ... so we decided to get him a potty as it is more his size. As soon as we made the switch we had success. I think they feel very insecure about going on the toilet, as to them it would be sooo huge, and are terrified of falling in. With a potty, they feel much more comfortable with their feet on the ground.

I came across an excellent potty the other day at Target called the Fisher Price Royal Potty, witch I'll be getting for my soon to be 2 yr old daughter. It has a sensor under the seat so when they do wee's or poos, it starts playing groovy music and has a mini celebration .. how cute. The seat can also be removed and put on the toilet as they progress, and also comes with a book they can read all about going potty.

Hope this helps ... good luck!

JaidasMum24

Jaida (6), Ameli (2) & Lacey (2mths) - SA

sounds like one flash potty!

Linda (Jessica 3/4/03, Caleb 11/4/05)

Thanks for the reply JaidasMum24.

My daughter's not "scared" of the toilet (or so i think!) cuz she' s happy to get on .... she just doesn't do anything once she's on there! She'll sit there and talk or play with the toilet paper .... just no poo or wee!

I don't want to push her if she isn't ready, but i just thought i'd give it a go seeing as she knew when she was going

let me know how it goes with your daughter.

I have a son whom is 3 yrs of age, currently we have a wee problem that is taking forever. His twin feternal brother has finished before him and he started after him. I strongly think that it is simply the will to do it and wanting to learn. My troublesome son just would rather play and is very disobediant, and doesn't like being told. I tried just with putting them on the potty before bath and said that they must do wee before a bath now. When they both were doing wee's on the potty at after meals and before and after naps, I just tried them on the toilet. They suprised me with being able to feel comfortable enough to do it. I think sometimes we should start them on a level less scary to them then progress when we see they are comfortable. The toilet first off is really confronting and I think thats what stopped my Son's when I experimented before 2 and 4 mths of age. Back then I think waiting for that extra time to train really made all the difference. Then when they did poo's by accident, I went overkill in praising them, that encouraged them alot. Also it is alot of talking and constant reminding them of their bodies. Some things said like"We do wee's on the and I taught them to say then "potty" and the same was said with poo. Then when they phrased that right I got them to say where they do poo's and wee's and made them fill the missing word to my phrases, which made it really less stressing for them to remember. Pritty soon it was alot of telling them on the hour to go to the toilet and helping them. Then when there was dry periods, I would tell him and he would iniciate it too. Then one day he started being dry and after 3 weeks I put him in pants. But as for the other twin he has only just started doing all poo's on the toilet by himself and has trouble knowing to go toilet. With this in mind the huggies pull ups have helped him understand he has wet and he has started telling me, after just a day and a half, which before he would'nt no matter how saturated into his trousers he would get. So I guess this is progress, then later today he asked outside of meal time to go to do wee. Along with persistantly telling him how to avoid makeing the symbols on the pants go away and relating him to the boy character in the big kid book that you can ask for from huggies, he really relates to James and telling him he gets hugs and kisses every time he is dry is added motivation. Also converting totally to dry nites and not useing nappies, makes sense to avoid them getting confused and not sure about toileting just as the handbook suggests, it is vital. Also I was told that having to spend alot of time at home to concentrate on teaching them and focus the most of day on toileting is one other aid in getting them to do it. I think this helps alot. Sorry but this is vital and Im afraid it may send you nuts from not going out, but understand that the toileting phase will end soon and freedom to go out will return. So hang in there and stay home to focus on the learning to go to toilet. Go out for shopping of course and the necessaries, but try to stay home all other times. I also found that the huggies hold only one wee but this gets them understanding about being wet without the stickyness of wett skirts or pants and hard to take off undies or trainers and because of that he was happer to tell me. Hope this helps.

Mrs. L Commins

Hiya Jubs and Tia,

I think the idea with the potty or the smaller toilet seat, is that they can sit down and relax.

My daughter has been day trained for about 6 months now, and has only just started using the normal toilet seat. When she sat on the normal toilet seat, she almost fell in, so all her energy was being used up by just holding on. The small seat top, that just sits on top of the normal toilet, has been great for us.

Goodluck to all, and hope to hear of some progress soon,

Tepe

DD5, DS3, DS lost to SIDS at 6mths & DD6m

Hey Tepe,

Did i forget to mention that we do use the smaller toilet seat? smile my bad!

yeah well she seems happy to sit there ... even some days will say "sit on toilet" but then she just plays on it rather than "going"

i'm thinking just to leave her and let it happen when it does, cuz this has been going on for something like the past 10 months!!

i'll be glad when it's all over .... hopefully in the warmer months coming, i'll have more luck!

Hi again,

Have you tried the idea of putting her on the loo just before the bath. This was my first starting point with my daughter and slowly it worked. Another idea for you to possible try!!!

Take care,

Tepe

DD5, DS3, DS lost to SIDS at 6mths & DD6m

Hi

When you get up in the morning, sit her on the toilet, before you have morning tea sit her on the toilet, before you have lunch sit her on the toilet, before you have afternoon tea sit her on the toilet, before you have dinner sit her on the toilet, before to go to bed sit her on the toilet. You might have to do this for a week, but it could work, as it worked for my friend.

best of luck
ale

Adina, ACT, 4 years and one on the way

Sign in to follow this topic