Be comfortable in your skin – this is a judgement free zone. Find out more!

Huggies Forum

Switch to Nappy-Pants

for toilet training!

Learn more
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Toddler
  4. Toilet Training
  5. How long does it usually take?

How long does it usually take? Rss

Have just started today to tt my nearly 3 year old dd. She did her first wee on the toilet the other day after she told me she wanted to so I thought it was now time to fully train her. However today we have had 4 wee accidents and no poos yet but have been putting her on the toilet every half an hour or so. This past hour she has asked me twice to put her on the toilet but has done nothing but then proceeded to wee in her undies and then tell me!

I plan to stay at home all this week but she does have daycare on Fri. Do I keep her home as I am still training her? Its just that I don't think she will tell them when she is wet or needs to go as she is quite a shy little girl and very rarely talks to others apart from me and my husband (and grandparents).

How long does it normally take for them to click on to what its all about? I know its only day 1 and I am a patient person but am wondering when I can start taking her out and about and feel comfortable about dealing with her when she needs to go to the toilet.
I think Boys are much different from girls my timw will come to train my little one!! My son is three and it toke a week, nothing but undies i refused to let him have one by the end of the week after along time accients and asking over and over again!! I was very lucky with him!! I know im going to be in for a long time with my daughter!!
Our experience in our family is that the girls either get it and train themselves, or take forever and don't like to be forced!

All extremes here.

With 2 of my nieces we just had potties absolutely everywhere (I did this with my son too) and we just spent weeeks talking about wee and poo, it was delightful. Also with my DS1 we sent him to pre school with about 5 changes of clothes but he managed there better at home (thank you peer pressure).

Mostly I think you need to make sure she knows she is going to pee BEFORE she does. You may have a case where she hasn't actually connected the feeling of having to go with getting to the loo, in which case maybe she just isnt ready. Have you asked daycare? They usually have a toilet training pack and are very helpful.
Im tt Ds1 atm he has done pee in the potty but saves his poo for bed time cause he has a nappy on, his rward is a chupa chup and it seems to be working well with the wees anyway..

Have just started today to tt my nearly 3 year old dd. She did her first wee on the toilet the other day after she told me she wanted to so I thought it was now time to fully train her. However today we have had 4 wee accidents and no poos yet but have been putting her on the toilet every half an hour or so. This past hour she has asked me twice to put her on the toilet but has done nothing but then proceeded to wee in her undies and then tell me!

I plan to stay at home all this week but she does have daycare on Fri. Do I keep her home as I am still training her? Its just that I don't think she will tell them when she is wet or needs to go as she is quite a shy little girl and very rarely talks to others apart from me and my husband (and grandparents).

How long does it normally take for them to click on to what its all about? I know its only day 1 and I am a patient person but am wondering when I can start taking her out and about and feel comfortable about dealing with her when she needs to go to the toilet.

if your child doesnt want to then dont force it, I usually do 1-2 days with my miss nearly 3 and if she is weeing on the floor 90% of the time then she is not ready and back in nappies and we try again a couple of weeks later.
both my older girls were tt at 2.5 and had maybe 2 accidents all up and that was usually while running to the toilet, if they are ready they will not have alot of accidents, and if they are not ready then forcing it is going to make them not want to do it even more, if they dont know when they need to go then you need to wait till they do know.

I also put nappies on my girls when we went out for about the first month as when they need to go in the early days, they need to go NOW, not 10mins later when we find a toilet! the nappy came off and home and they were back to using the toilet
Sign in to follow this topic