Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappy Pants

Learn More
The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Toddler
  4. Toilet Training
  5. What to do when you go out?

What to do when you go out? Lock Rss

We have started TT our DS using a potty. We have stayed home for the last week and he has been going well using it doing lots of wees and even a poo today!! I was wondering though, because he is using a potty what do we do when we go out to the shops or similar when there is only toilets available? I don't particularly want to use training pants and because he is used to the potty i can't see him wanting to use a toilet?? so would I have to try and start getting him on the toilet instead? how would i go about that transition, any advice would be much appreciated!!

If you don't want to use training pants then yes you will need to get him used to using the toilet. I never used the potty with mine for this reason, it was just another transition and change we had to make.

We have started TT our DS using a potty. We have stayed home for the last week and he has been going well using it doing lots of wees and even a poo today!! I was wondering though, because he is using a potty what do we do when we go out to the shops or similar when there is only toilets available? I don't particularly want to use training pants and because he is used to the potty i can't see him wanting to use a toilet?? so would I have to try and start getting him on the toilet instead? how would i go about that transition, any advice would be much appreciated!!

I started TT DD at 22 months and she was very little but used a toilet fine. A few months after she was TT she regressed and became terrified of the toilet and after months i FINALLY got her using a potty and I had to take it everywhere it was such a pain in the bum to drag around. I suggest if he will just use a toilet because last time i took DD to the public toilets with her potty she did number 1 and 2s then stood up and booted it across the toilet lol funny now but definitely not at the time!! He will probably surprise you if you put him on the toilet he may be fine just give it a shot!!
He might surprise you! I'd suggest going for a trip out to the shops and taking him into the toilet, pop him up right to the back of the seat so it doesn't feel like he will fall in and see how you go. DD always used a potty at home but had no problems going on a toilet like this if we were out. Our potty converts to a step and seat over the big toilet so are now doing that and she transitioned fine smile
DS is used to a variety of different toilets, from the potty at home (and sometimes the "big toilet"), to using a mini-toilet at the parents rooms and childcare, or a "big toilet" at places without a parents room, plus grandparents "big toilet" with seat insert.
He has adapted fine.

Also, make sure you try for wees before you leave home, and as soon as you get to the shops, go again.
Do the same in reverse when leaving the shops.
Also a folded cloth nappy or similar absorbent-type cloth in the seat of the car-seat just in case of accidents!

His Royal Highness, Prince William

I started DS 2yrs on the potty and when we would go out he wouldn't use the toilets but I did have him in training pants but he would just hold it till we got home he never wet them, so I had to get him used to the toilet so I went and bought a potty that went from beinga potty to a seat that sits on the toilet and step.
We then did a week using it as a potty and then switched it to the toilet seat worked perfectly he now uses the toilet.
We got ours from Target

Sign in to follow this topic