Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappy Pants

Learn More

I really need help Lock Rss

Hi everyone,

I am in need of some major advice. My DS1 turned 3 in Feb and still is nowhere near toilet trained! Now he can wee and poo on the toilet, he tells me when HE HAS DONE a poo or wee but fails to inform me when he NEEDS to do one.

He just doesnt understand - and I dont know what else to do. Id love him out of nappies soon as Im getting fed up changing 2 sets of nappies (DH does not do nappies lol)

Id love some advice on something that will be QUICK and really easy. I know he can do it - he is smart but lacks in communication.

Pleas be nice and no criticism grin Love some help!

[quote name='K2BC' date='22 May 2011 - 11:07 PM' timestamp='1306069658' post='2993823'] [size="3"][font="Verdana"]Hi everyone, I am in need of some major advice. My DS1 turned 3 in Feb and still is nowhere near toilet trained! Now he can wee and poo on the toilet, he tells me when HE HAS DONE a poo or wee but fails to inform me when he NEEDS to do one. He just doesnt understand - and I dont know what else to do. Id love him out of nappies soon as Im getting fed up changing 2 sets of nappies (DH does not do nappies lol) Id love some advice on something that will be QUICK and really easy. I know he can do it - he is smart but lacks in communication. Pleas be nice and no criticism grin Love some help![/font][/size] I found the best way of helping my kids click I have a girl who is 5 and a boy who is 9 was to use Pull Ups, but put underware under the pull ups. This then makes them feel uncomfortable but doesnt create as much mess. This also allows them to be able to take their pants off when they get to the toilet. Remember kids toilet train in their own time some are faster than others. Dont get angry and if all else fails wait a month areintroduce it.
If it makes you feel better my Ds is 3 in September and he doesnt go on the loo at all. He is dry at night and knows when he is going to poo but is always suprisedwhen he does a wee and doesnt know how to empty his bladder voluntarily yet. He sits on the loo and squeeses but it must be the wrong way because it doesnt work laugh .

The way I see it for me there is no point in flogging a dead horse, I have given him loads of exposure to toileting and when he is ready or in summer time whatever comes first I will encourage fully toileting training.

It is much easier when the child is ready. smile

http://decadent-delights1.webnode.com/blog/
My blog, take a peek into my world

Probably not the answer you want, but generally boys do train at a later age. Also, if you try to push the issue it can become an even bigger problem. My nephew has just turned 4 and just got the hang of it, but it has been a battle with my sister and BIL for nearly 12 months now. The more they pushed, the harder he dug his heels in. I really felt for the poor little guy. Also, when you do bite the bullet and decide to go nappy free, don't go back! If you do it will confuse him. My sister used to have him in undies at home, but put a nappy on him to go out and at childcare 2 days a week which just confused him.
Thanks for the replies ladies grin

I guess hes not 100 percent ready yet. I think I will still ask him if he wants to sit on the toilet maybe once or twice a day just to get him used to it and go from there. Might take him to buy some undies.

Today he told me he was a still a little boy lol oh well guess we just take it easy

Thanks for the replies ladies grin

I guess hes not 100 percent ready yet. I think I will still ask him if he wants to sit on the toilet maybe once or twice a day just to get him used to it and go from there. Might take him to buy some undies.

Today he told me he was a still a little boy lol oh well guess we just take it easy

Here is my tips -
*dont ask if they want to go to the toilet, just take them, every hour or so. dont make a fuss if they dont do anything but make a huge deal out of when they do
*make the toilet fun, sing songs, read a book etc
*try rewards for when he does tell you he needs to go. i dont normally believe in bribery for children, but a sticker or a lollie every now and then to make them do it more for me was ok
*dont make a deal when the dirty themselves, when you change his nappy, sit him on the toilet as well even if he doenst do anything
*take him as soon as he wakes in the morning, even if he has a wet nappy

Does he idolise his dad? Say that daddy is a big boy and pees in the toilet, dont you want to be big like daddy? (or mum, grandpa who ever you want really) When my dd was tt, she used to say im a big girl, i can pee in the toilet - and used to tell everyone, even the people at the shops cos she was so proud of being big.

Oh and dont say that only babies wear nappies, cos then they still want to be a baby, you just have to make a big deal about getting bigger!

Best of luck!!
Sign in to follow this topic